+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Wood rot near screws

My neighbor had a deck built with her new home about 3 years ago. On the areas that are visible, the stringers, there is wood rot in the areas of the screws. The stringers are pressure treated pine, and the deck material is composite material. I'm sure of the brand. It's solid with 2 relief cuts on the back side. She said the screws were specified by the deck manufacturer. The screws are coated with a square drive head. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks

Default Re: Wood rot near screws

its definitely rot? is the wood soft and decayed? post a pic it could have been a bad piece of lumber right from the start. fasteners wont rot the wood but the chemicals in pressure treated can corrode the fasteners if the correct type isnt used such as epoxy coated or stainless steel
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks jkirk. Yea, it is definately rot. The wood around all of the screws is soft and punky. Maybe it is an incompatibility problem. It appears that on every stringer there is rot where the screws enter the stringer. Maybe tomorrow I can get a picture. It's been raining all day. I'll take a couple of screws out in areas away from the stringers to see if they are holding.

something sounds fishy there. either the wood isnt treated or it was old lumber being reused, ive never heard of pt wood going bad that quick unless it was submerged in salt water and wasn't marine grade
    fire up the saw and make some dust