+ Reply to Thread

Post finishing new wood

I want to finish new wood. I am using cypress and white pine ( tongue and groove) on inside walls. I will be using hemlock or t1-11 panels on outside walls. I want to know what to use on this lumber to keep it looking natural. Steps involved to fi nish these woods.

Default Re: finishing new wood

Carson,

Your task is complicated because you have chosen 3 varieties of soft wood. Each will have its own color and darkness. To visulize how each will look with merely a coat of varnish, wet the wood. The wet wood will approximate the varnished wood in appearance.

Be advised that any wood will continue to darken and possibly redden with age, even under a coat of varnish. To stabilize the color, you should stain the wood. Be also advised that soft woods have variations in their porousity. The areas which are more porous will suck up more stain and therefore appear darker and blotchy. The darker the stain, the more prominant will be the blotchy look. To counter this blotchiness, you should use a pre-stain sealer. This is nothing more than a clear oil which is applied liberally, allowed to penetrate for a minute or so, and then all excess wiped off. Because the porous areas have sucked up the oil, they will not suck up excessive stain and therefore look dark and blotchy.

The general order of treating woodwork is as follows:

1. Lightly sand wood to remove rough areas, dirty and scuff marks.
    2. Apply coat of pre-stain sealer per manufacturers instructions.
    3. Apply stain and wipe per instructions
    4. Apply either sanding sealer or first coat of varnish. Most urethane varnishes are their own sealer. Merely apply the first coat and lightly sand after dry. Subsequent coats of varnish do not normally need sanding.
    5. Fill nail holes, miter gaps etc. with color matched putty.
    DO NOT APPLY PUTTY TO BARE WOOD! The oils in the putty will get into the grain and prevent the stain from penetrating and result in a light blotchy area.
    6. Apply final coats of varnish. If you have used an oil stain and pre-stain sealer, the wood will probably look good with 2 coats of varnish. However, those areas which get wear, such as doors and window sills, I would advise a 3rd coat.

I would make trial samples of stain and varnishes on scraps of the 3 types of wood. The stains maybe alterred for each type of wood in an effort to unify the color and look.

Default Re: finishing new wood

ordjen Thanks for your info. carson