+ Reply to Thread

Thread: work bench

Question work bench

I need to know what the ideal height is for a wood shop work bench. I am 6 feet tall and am in the process of planning my wood shop area. Thank You

Default Re: work bench

Ideal is in the back of the beholder. I too am 6' and I find a 36" high bench top to be uncomfortably low. If I were to custom build something I'd probably go 4" to 6" taller. One thing to keep in mind is if you'll be having anyone else in there with you, shorter folks won't like the higher benchtop.

I've been using salvaged kitchen cabinets for my bases for the last 10 years (and two shops ), with a 3' deep top. I like the base cabinets because it gives plenty of storage and strength. I left a gap (knee hole ) in the center and under one end so that I can sit on a stool and work for extended periods of time. The added depth allows for things to live on the bench and still have plenty of room to work. My current bench top consists of reclaimed 2x12s for a strong and solid top, covered with a layer of 1/2" plywood for a smooth and solid surface.

Hope that helps.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytur View Post
    I need to know what the ideal height is for a wood shop work bench. I am 6 feet tall and am in the process of planning my wood shop area. Thank You
    I'm 6'3" and work at a drafting table or flat work top (desk) all day long. I work in my office about 50-50 standing or on a drafting chair. I built them at 42". (Up from there toward the back, on the drafting table.) I built my work bench at home at 42" as well. My back does not deal with leaning over very well for any length of time.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    .......... for the user, like sprucey said, you dont want it so low that you have to hunch
    Spucey? That guy....... Well I'll be polite.

I would really recommend a height no lower than a couple of inches measured from the floor below the bottom of an elbow bent at a right angle standing with a straight upright back. With my back, I talked to a doc about a recomendation. (Not that doc's know everything, but, they make more money than me.)

The hight of the bench is going to depend on what you use it for. If you use power tools most of the time then the recommendation made by NEC, Sprucey, and jkirk would be appropriate (elbow height), but if you are a heavy hand tool user then you will want a much lower work bench to be able to get the proper leverage (generally knuckle height).
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb