+ Reply to Thread

Default What is the best location for a heating duct in the basement

Am finishing a room in my basement and need to relocate a duct in that room. Were would be the best location for it? Just off the floor in the wall or up in the ceiling blowing air down? Also should I have more then one supply in a 23' x 12' room?

Default Re: What is the best location for a heating duct in the basement

i'm not a plumber but i do know that the best location for a heat vent is in the floor or as close to the floor as possible. as for the number of vents, it depends on the cubic feet of space you need to heat and the size of the duct pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonbrando View Post
    Am finishing a room in my basement and need to relocate a duct in that room. Were would be the best location for it? Just off the floor in the wall or up in the ceiling blowing air down? Also should I have more then one supply in a 23' x 12' room?
    Located in the ceiling would be best and takes less effort for air movement.
    Otherwise, lower down it takes more effort to move warm air that wants to naturally rise and force it down the ducting --- not ideal.

For that size of room I would say a minimum of two 5 inch supply ducts.
    It would also be helpful for better air circulation to include 1 return located lower near floor level -------- actually around 10 - 12 inches above the floor to be safe from potential flooding.
    The return air duct will help draw the warm air from the ceiling downward , but also draws the colder air from floor level --- helping to makes things more comfortable.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

A 23x12 room is 276 sq. ft. and 6" supplies give you around 100 cfm, it's been argued or debated that you don't need as much heating or cooling in a basement. If it were doing the work I would put in two seven inch supplies with dampers, that way you can always damper it down if it's two much but you will know your getting enough. I would also go 7 ft. from each end and center it as best possible keep the heat as equal as possible, if you can then the return should be close to the floor as Canuk say's to pull the colder air out. Make sure you furnace is sized for this or you could steal heat from other living spaces. Good Luck !!