+ Reply to Thread

Default Adding a 12x12 room in Garage.

Hello all. We have a 20ft square garage that we want to add a 12x12 bedroom in. the garage has been enclosed. Just still has slab floor. It has 2 windows and double french doors (where the garage door used to be). And 2 windows on the west wall ( on my left if i was in the garage facing the french doors). the door going into the house is on the south wall, far right side.
    I have made a small drawing of the garage and with a green box around the area i want to build a room. I have attatched a pic but in case it doesnt work You can view it on flikr.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/30366274@N05/5396066069/

I would like to know if anyone could give me a material list with the quantity of each I would need. Just the building supplies. Not the electrical ( my husband is experianced in this area). Also any idea on how and where i would place the door and closet.
    For those interested, I plan on using the rest of the space for storage shelves and maybe a weight bench for my husband somewhere...hehe.
    Thank you sooooo much for all those who can help me!
    Tabatha Vanmeter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	3905  

Default Re: Adding a 12x12 room in Garage.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryandtabatha View Post
    Hello all. We have a 20ft square garage that we want to add a 12x12 bedroom in. the garage has been enclosed. Just still has slab floor. It has 2 windows and double french doors (where the garage door used to be). And 2 windows on the west wall ( on my left if i was in the garage facing the french doors). the door going into the house is on the south wall, far right side.
    I have made a small drawing of the garage and with a green box around the area i want to build a room. I have attatched a pic but in case it doesnt work You can view it on flikr.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/30366274@N05/5396066069/

I would like to know if anyone could give me a material list with the quantity of each I would need. Just the building supplies. Not the electrical ( my husband is experianced in this area). Also any idea on how and where i would place the door and closet.
    For those interested, I plan on using the rest of the space for storage shelves and maybe a weight bench for my husband somewhere...hehe.
    Thank you sooooo much for all those who can help me!
    Tabatha Vanmeter
    Some more information is needed.

What about the floor ?

Is the entire garage insulated and has heating/cooling ?

Calculating how much material is very easy---------

generally framing for walls , ceilings, floors has the lumber placed at 16 inch ( on center ) spacing , draw out your space and add up how many studs / joists you need.

Drywall comes in 4 ft X 8 / 10 / 12 ft.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Some more information is needed.

What about the floor ?

Is the entire garage insulated and has heating/cooling ?

Calculating how much material is very easy---------

generally framing for walls , ceilings, floors has the lumber placed at 16 inch ( on center ) spacing , draw out your space and add up how many studs / joists you need.

Drywall comes in 4 ft X 8 / 10 / 12 ft.
    The floor right now is still concrete but i plan on putting carpet. Not sure about insulation, i can get my husband to check. It has a normal ceiling, like the rest of my house. No heat/cooling yet. I am going too see if I can add a vent in the room. The ac/furnace is above the garage. I have spoken with building and zoning and he said that i didnt need a permit. Any ideas on what kind of nails i would need and placement of door and closet?

Quote Originally Posted by jerryandtabatha View Post
    The floor right now is still concrete but i plan on putting carpet. Not sure about insulation, i can get my husband to check. It has a normal ceiling, like the rest of my house. No heat/cooling yet. I am going too see if I can add a vent in the room. The ac/furnace is above the garage. I have spoken with building and zoning and he said that i didnt need a permit. Any ideas on what kind of nails i would need and placement of door and closet?
    Huh ?!?!? For a bed room ?!?!?
    Electrical , egress windows , heating/ventilation, insulation and no permit required ?
    *** !!!
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Well, maybe if differs by state im not sure. I live in Georgia.
    But he said as long as i get a clearance from an a/c contractor
    that says my unit will handle the added space then i have no problems. So, just a matter of running a air duct to the room, or maybe also in the rest of the area. There are already 4 windows in the garage. So he said that was fine as long as I am not adding windows. And not the typical high garage windows, they are the sames ones as we have inside. There are already outlets on every wall. Sheetrock on all walls. And even a ceiling fan. The garage was enclosed before we bought it. 9 months ago.

mainly it depends on the car size you have.
    12x12 according to me is enough for all that.

1. There is a "search mail" button on the far right.
    2. Please get another "****" email address you give to friends and make this address into your "brown" email address you input to all commercial addresses (except your bank)

Quote Originally Posted by aaren253 View Post
    1. There is a "search mail" button on the far right.
    2. Please get another "****" email address you give to friends and make this address into your "brown" email address you input to all commercial addresses (except your bank)
    ???? What are you talking about, i dont understand.

I have no idea even what kind of range to look at as far as pricing. Would it be a smarter move to just buy a more expensive (139,000) house that has more bedrooms but less space to add on if we ever desired to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by nerobikaz View Post
    I have no idea even what kind of range to look at as far as pricing. Would it be a smarter move to just buy a more expensive (139,000) house that has more bedrooms but less space to add on if we ever desired to do so.
    No buying another house is not an option.