+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Garage

Default New Garage

We're currently getting ready to demo our old garage (about 40+ years old, rotting and leaning over; wood). I'll be doing this job by hand, renting a dumpster and feeding a half-dozen buddies of mine for a couple days. The current structure is 12x29 and I'm considering using a 30yd3 dumpster, unloading right inside the garage that way when the roof starts coming down it falls inside the dumpster.
    Wonder if anyone has any tips for demo'ing this thing in a semi-controlled manner. The structure is close to the property line (within 5') and the roof will probably not support a person to de-shingle it.

Oh, and BTW: "hiring professionals" has been discarded as an option for a multitude of reasons.

Thanks!
    Mo

Default Re: New Garage

It may be difficult or impossible for the driver to get the dumpster inside the garage since they are so high up on the truck and they have to be tilted up at a pretty steep angle to off load it from the truck. If you saw this on the Modern House Project Tom Silva had a trailer dumpster so they could back it into the garage it wasn’t roll-off like a normal dumpster.
    Another thing you have to consider is that dropping the roof into the dumpster is going to take up a lot of space. A dumpster is best used if you pack it neatly. You may also be able to save some of the wood and reuse it.
    If you are worried about the roof supporting a person you could start at the eves with tearing the shingles off and cutting away the wood sheathing and work from ladders in-between the rafters until the roof is stripped. Or like you said if you were going to drop it into the dumpster you might be better off leaving the dumpster outside the garage and just drop the roof in place and then pack the dumpster neatly. It is more work but if they dumpster is not packed right you may end up having to use more than one. They look big but they do fill up quick. Good Luck in your project.

One other thing I forgot to mention. Have you checked with your building department? They may have restrictions on tearing down the structure and rebuilding in its place since it is so close to the property line. I faced that when I tore down a wood shed and built an 8'x12' shed in its place and had to move it because it was to close to the property line.

I have torn down a few old garages. From your description it sounds pretty dilapidated. Here is my suggestion if you A) have the room , and B) have the nerve .

Rent a bobcat or borrow one. Hook two chains to each corner of the garage and then to the bobcat. Make sure the chains are plenty long so the building doesn't fall on you . TAKE OFF! It'll be down in now time.

If you rent a bobcat make sure to get the grappling hook attachment and one with tracks. You can pick up 90% of the debris with those hooks (or whatever they are called). Your buddies will thank you, because instead of actually working they get to drink beer and take turns running the bobcat . The tracks will let you drive right into that mess without worrying about flat tires.

Good Luck

Another disadvantage to putting the dumpster inside is that as the builing material falls around the dumpster you have no way to clean up around it. I would work from ladders as sabo4545 sugested letting the roofing drop into the garage then you can clean it up with a bobcat, shovels or by hand.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

It seem hard to get the OP's to come back and post the solutions or the job done.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb