+ Reply to Thread

Default Add in a second wall

Here is the scenario. I want to have it so my audio & video equipment (blu ray player, surround sound receiver, speakers, etc.)are inside the wall. This is what i was thinking. So please tell me what you think.

1. After removing the sheet rock & insulation to expose the 2' X 4" wall frame, I was thinking of adding a second wall frame on top of the other one so that it would accommodate the size of my audio & video equipment.

2. As far as anchoring the second wall I would bolt it to the floor and use brackets going up from the floor to the ceiling.

This is only a thought. My goal & intent is to give the room more space by making my home theater components as part of the wall. So in other words the front of the blu ray player as well as the surround sound reviver would be flush with the wall.

My last question on this is, how to I deal with the cooling of my components when they are inside the wall because they will give off heat and will need to ventilate.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

Default Re: Add in a second wall

If you are thinking about removing drywall and the insulation behind it to gain clearance for the depth of your electronic equipment, I don't think that is a very good idea!
    I don't see a problem with building out the wall to gain such clearance, leaving the original wall intact. Aesthetically how it would look is your judgement call.