+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    44

    Default Wallpaper Removed-Sheetrock (drywall) a Mess

    I not going to share how long it took me to scrap the wallpaper off, nor how careful I was not to ruin the sheetrock (or is it drywall?). Despite my care, I could not avoid the damage incurred in quite a few places. In some spots, the wallpaper and glue came off like a dream, in others it was a nightmare! At any rate, I did the best I could! This photo shows one of many areas that are even worse than this.

    I have been looking at my ugly bare walls for months now, dreading what steps I have to take before I can go any further with priming and painting.

    I'm hoping someone will can give me simple and straitforward instructions (I am no do-it-yourselfer) as to what I have to do to get this wall ready for priming and painting.

    I have done some research ******, and have an idea, but I always turn to TOH forums for the experienced and helpful people here. I'm doing this alone and I don't have lots of $$ to spend. On the plus side, my kitchen is small and there are only three walls to do.

    Thank you in advance for any advice I won't need a degree to understand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drywall.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	3902  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,481

    Default Re: Wallpaper Removed-Sheetrock (drywall) a Mess

    Spot prime the damaged areas with a good primer, preferably oil based because it will cause less raising of the exposed paper. This will seal the paper and keep the next step from lifting it even more.

    Once the primer is dry, you can apply a skim coating of drywall topping compound. You're just trying to cover the damage and smooth the area out. Once dry you can lightly sand as necessary, top off any low spots, and you're ready for the next phase.

    If your walls are textured, you'll have to try to match the texture. There are many different techniques, depending on the type of texture you have. If they're smooth, then it's a matter of sanding the areas to feather them into the rest of the wall.

    Prime the entire wall with Zinsser 1 2 3 (blue label ), two coats over the patched areas at least. Finish with a good quality paint such as Kelly Moore or Sherwin Williams.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    2,360

    Default Re: Wallpaper Removed-Sheetrock (drywall) a Mess

    The directions above are good except I would change the oil based primer ( a good second choice) to Zinsser Guardz. Guardz is specifically made for this purpose. It paints on easily and dries in an hour. You can then sand and paint and float at will without fear of bubbling up more drywall paper.

    Also, repeated thin coats of drywall mud are better than thick ones. Most DIYers use too much drywall mud on each pass.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ladson,SC
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: Wallpaper Removed-Sheetrock (drywall) a Mess

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    The directions above are good except I would change the oil based primer ( a good second choice) to Zinsser Guardz. Guardz is specifically made for this purpose. It paints on easily and dries in an hour. You can then sand and paint and float at will without fear of bubbling up more drywall paper.

    Also, repeated thin coats of drywall mud are better than thick ones. Most DIYers use too much drywall mud on each pass.
    I am not much on drywall but I just completed a repair just like the pictured wall.I used Master of Plaster I used the Restoration Plaster you can save if you purchase the repair plaster it works very well on drywall It will take about one hour per coat 200 Sq/Ft each coat two base coats one finish no paint primer required, no sanding required and you will get a smooth white finish.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Wallpaper Removed-Sheetrock (drywall) a Mess

    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and sorry for my delayed response.

    Is the Zinsser Guardz you recommend water base? I don't like using oil-base anything - it's too hard to clean up when you don't have a lot of room and/or a garage or work space (which I don't)

    I have some Zinsser 1-2-3 water base primer/sealer from a previous project - can I use that?




    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    The directions above are good except I would change the oil based primer ( a good second choice) to Zinsser Guardz. Guardz is specifically made for this purpose. It paints on easily and dries in an hour. You can then sand and paint and float at will without fear of bubbling up more drywall paper.

    Also, repeated thin coats of drywall mud are better than thick ones. Most DIYers use too much drywall mud on each pass.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Wallpaper Removed-Sheetrock (drywall) a Mess

    Is there a particular brand of drywall topping compound you would recommend?



    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Spot prime the damaged areas with a good primer, preferably oil based because it will cause less raising of the exposed paper. This will seal the paper and keep the next step from lifting it even more.

    Once the primer is dry, you can apply a skim coating of drywall topping compound. You're just trying to cover the damage and smooth the area out. Once dry you can lightly sand as necessary, top off any low spots, and you're ready for the next phase.

    If your walls are textured, you'll have to try to match the texture. There are many different techniques, depending on the type of texture you have. If they're smooth, then it's a matter of sanding the areas to feather them into the rest of the wall.

    Prime the entire wall with Zinsser 1 2 3 (blue label ), two coats over the patched areas at least. Finish with a good quality paint such as Kelly Moore or Sherwin Williams.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,481

    Default Re: Wallpaper Removed-Sheetrock (drywall) a Mess

    Quote Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
    Is there a particular brand of drywall topping compound you would recommend?
    No, just use any brand of premixed topping compound and you'll do fine. Don't use all purpose or 2-in-1 compounds, they dry too hard and are more difficult to sand.

    When using any premixed product, you'll want to mix it up before using. This stirs in any water that's separated as well as "creams" up the compound so that it spreads more easily. If you want or need to you can add just a touch of water to thin the compound down a little, which will make it easier to spread as well. Whenever you add water, use a small amount and mix it in well until you get the desired consistency and workability.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Wallpaper Removed-Sheetrock (drywall) a Mess

    Feel free to have a good laugh at my expense.

    Is the product you're talking about the same as spackle?

    I have DAP "CrackShot" spackling paste ... would that be okay to use?


    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    No, just use any brand of premixed topping compound and you'll do fine. Don't use all purpose or 2-in-1 compounds, they dry too hard and are more difficult to sand.

    When using any premixed product, you'll want to mix it up before using. This stirs in any water that's separated as well as "creams" up the compound so that it spreads more easily. If you want or need to you can add just a touch of water to thin the compound down a little, which will make it easier to spread as well. Whenever you add water, use a small amount and mix it in well until you get the desired consistency and workability.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    2,360

    Default Re: Wallpaper Removed-Sheetrock (drywall) a Mess

    The Zinser Guardz is water based.

    Use the premixed drywall spackle/mud/compound from the heavy box or in the 5 gallon bucket. They have smaller containers of the same stuff. Don't buy it from the paint section as you'll spend 4x as much. Go to the drywall section of Home Burrito or sLowes.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,481

    Default Re: Wallpaper Removed-Sheetrock (drywall) a Mess

    Quote Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
    Feel free to have a good laugh at my expense.

    Is the product you're talking about the same as spackle?

    I have DAP "CrackShot" spackling paste ... would that be okay to use?
    Topping compound is specifically for the purpose of skim coating joints, depressions, and large areas of drywall, where as spackle is for filling very small holes such as picture nails. Spackle does not have the properties necessary to act as a good skim material.

    Here's what you're looking for:






    As you can see, it comes in various types and sizes of container, but they ALL have "topping compound" written on them. You will find topping compound on the drywall aisle of your supply house.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •