+ Reply to Thread

Question Second Floor too warm!

This fall I added attic insulation up to a R50 (I live in Minnesota - so its cold up here). My windows have been refurbished as well, so they are pretty solid. Now, however, when the thermostat on the first floor is keeping that level at a comfortable 67 degrees, the second floor is quite a bit warmer - as much as ten degrees. What are my options - do I need to put in zones in my hot water system - is that expensive? Should I run the fan on my central air system - even though the sound of the fan takes away the peace and quiet of the boiler system? The heat is going up the open stairway - can I find a location for a ceiling fan that will keep the heat circulating on the first floor instead of going up the stairs? Thanks for any ideas.

Default Re: Second Floor too warm!

What type of radiation do you have? If it's copper fin baseboard you could try closing the dampers on the 2nd floor baseboard.

John

Amazing what happens when the proper amount of insulation is added --- the heat stays in.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I agree; the 2nd floor convectors may also have on/off knobs that can be partially or completely turned off to try & balance the heat.

If all else fails, pink insulation can be stuffed inside the baseboard covers, or a rad cover w/pink insulation can be made for one or two of the cast iron rads.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 01-25-2011 at 10:40 PM.

My house is a 1920's house -- so the radiators are cast iron. I don't believe they have any way to modulate the radiators - I think it is either on or off.