+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Natural Gas Heater Problem

Ok, I am having a problem with my NG wall mounted heater. It is a Empire SR30T, which has been here since we moved in. The problem is it works when it wants if it wants. The heat will stay on for 10 seconds at the least 5 minutes at the most. So I light the pilot and leave it on for about 5 minutes(Left it on for about 4 hours before) to let the thermocouple heat up. Pilot is tipping the thermocouple by 1/8”. Call for heat, 10 seconds later the fire and pilot gives in, what’s with that? Relight 5 minutes later, it might stay on for 20 seconds(Hopefully) shuts completely off again. Any ideas? I have cleaned the thermocouple(per sut buildup) and cleaned the pilot head. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Natural Gas Heater Problem

That is an unvented heater. They have a pilot safety that will shut them off if there is a lack of oxygen in the room, which leads to carbon monoxide production. There are instructions for cleaning the pilot on Empire's site, see thumbnail. The next option is replacement of the pilot, ignitor, and thermocouple as a complete assembly. I would not operate it at all until it is repaired, since it could be dangerous.
    http://www.empirecomfort.com/EMPIREC...ls/manuals.asp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	empire pilot.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	3901  
    Last edited by ZZZ; 01-26-2011 at 12:05 AM.
    "Lead by Example"