+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How can I locate an electric heat relay?

No, the stand alone relay is not part of the group of 8, which are on the box near the breaker panel. I already checked the heaters and there's no relay inside. If I do disconnect the stand alone relay, can I do that safely without switching off the breaker first?

Quote Originally Posted by coblas View Post
    The house is at ........

In your explanation about how to test when the heater is overheating, what is meant by "do not 'jumper' wires?"

Thank you for taking so much time to help me with this.

I just meant not to connect them together, instead keep them apart when you turn the p0wer back on.
    "Lead by Example"

....... My electrician is leaving town for 3 months, ..

I think I know why :-) That could turn into a real mess. Never work on anything with the p0wer on. The stats are only 24 volts but even then you should not take any chances.
    Last edited by ZZZ; 01-28-2011 at 09:04 PM.
    "Lead by Example"

Originally Posted by coblas

If that separate relay is the mysterious relay, then I still have to find another one. There has been no problem with the heat in the room I believe this one connects to. All of the wiring goes in the appropriate direction and the junction box is about 5' from that room. The room is next to the one with the problem, on the same floor.

No, the stand alone relay is not part of the group of 8, which are on the box near the breaker panel. I already checked the heaters and there's no relay inside. If I do disconnect the stand alone relay, can I do that safely without switching off the breaker first?
    I wasn't meaning the stand alone relay , rather the thermostat for the room that you believe this relay serves. If you believe this stand alone relay is for another room and that thermostat is part of the group of 8 from the control box then it shouldn't have 2 relays in circuit.

The only way you would wire in 2 relays would be if you are switching 2 seperate loads.

No -- you shouldn't disconnect the wiring of the relay when the circuit is live.
    Frankly if you have to ask that question I think you need an electrician to sort out this goofy mess.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I did switch off the breakers before disconnecting that separate relay before seeing your answers, just to be safe. I was trying to avoid switching the breakers more than absolutely necessary. That relay does go to the room I expected. If you check my original post, it pretty much sums up the situation. The electrician told me he'll help me look for the problem relay when he returns, if I haven't found it yet. I figure that would be bad use of his time and wanted to find the thing myself.