+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Tell us what FURNITURE you want to see in our Build It or Buy It column

I'm a new member. I have a table I'd like to recast -- specifically keep the nice old marble top and apron but remove and update the base so it can be used as a small mobile kitchen "island-ette."

I own the table, willing to donate and do the repainting post-carpentry. The current elongated spider base has a center post (plus for legs) that suggests a possible leg style.

Also willing to cannibalize the carved and incised parts of the base if necessary. Attie.

Default Re: Tell us what FURNITURE you want to see in our Build It or Buy It column

I finally found a piece of furniture for my entertainment system that is near perfect. I got it at Costco, it was one of their promotions that they feature for only a short period of time. It was called an "Entertainment Dresser"

Most entertainment centers have a lot of shelves for a lot of equipment. In the past, I did need this type, but I have simplified my system now but need storage for DVDs and video tapes.

Right now I have a flat screen mounted on the wall. The dresser is a basic 2 wide by 4 drawer high. The top two rows have two half width drawers and a full drawer in the center, however in the top row, there is no center drawer. I put the surround amp in that space. On the top I have the DVR and the Blue-ray.

The only issue is that the center support for each shelf intrudes just enough in each drawer so that some of the larger sized DVD cases won't stand completely upright. On the full width drawers, I line up the DVDs on either side of this support. On the half width drawers, I leave out about 4 or 5 DVDs so they sit at a slant.

Anyway, the furniture I'd like to see featured or built would be an entertainment system like this or like an old lowboy 9 drawer dresser of the 50's with drawers sized for DVD cases to stand upright. The Tv could be wall mounted or mounted on a wide plank attached to the back like the old mirrors were. The peripheral equipment could sit on top.

Our house is a raised ranch with the familiar "half-wall" at the top of the stairs. A piece of furniture against that wall takes up too much space in an already small living room so we have mounted our 42" flat panel TV on the wall. What I would really like is to convert the wall into a built-in TV cabinet with an opening for the TV as well as storage for DVDs, remotes, etc.
    Considering all the raised ranch homes in this area, I have never seen a project that uses that stupid half-wall in any way, let alone an attractive and functional way!
    Last edited by MmeEmile; 04-10-2011 at 09:50 PM.

I'm interested in hall or mudroom furniture that serve as storage, like a locker type piece to store coats, shoes and more but for adults, not kids. Possibly a bench to sit and store. We have shoes and miscellaneous items cluttering the hall near our back door and nowhere to hang our coats or dog leash, etc. I'd like to hide it all or at least make it more organized.

For the basement, I'd like storage for sporting equipment.

For a bedroom, I could use a display unit for awards and trophies.

Basically, any kind of furniture or ideas to organize and reduce clutter so we have more floor space would be appreciated.

Something that is easy to build but will have the best function, Murphey Beds, Boxes, and Armoires are the best. Book cases are the thing of the past but Storage units would be best.

Storage cabinets to better use space behind knee wall and "shoulder" wall spaces. Maybe a wall of closet space and drawers.

Well this really isn't furniture but how about how to make kitchen cabinets. I think they could be made by the average person if they took their time.