+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: TOH wants to know what you miss most about houses of the past

The House I grew up in was a old brick four flat in Chicago. Over the years we owned it we did a lot of remodeling . We occupied the entire second floor and the living room in the rear apartment had soft wood floors , every other room had hardwood . Eventually we decided to remedy the situation and over a weekend we installed a woodtile floor of Black Walnut Tiles. It had the aroma of walnut which reminded me of woodshop at Lane Tech . It had a warm delicious bouquet .

i grew up an an old houe till i was about 12. I miss being cold in the winter, and having to sleep downstairs in the summer because it was to hot up stairs, i miss having to wait to go take a leak because there was only one bathroom. i miss having to constantly go into the basement which was borderline a dungeon to lite the pilot on the furnace, or replace fuses all the time, i miss in the winter having to go out and cover up the septic line with straw bales to keep the crapper from freezing, or helping mom put up plastic on the windows! now that im an adult i absolutely hate to work on old houses.. so i guess you could say i dont miss them at all!!

Smile Re: TOH wants to know what you miss most about houses of the past

It was my Greatgrandmothers home. The beautiful hardwood floors, the real Persian rugs, the big old grandfathers clock the was so loud. The "smell" of her house. I miss the attic with all the great stuff in it and the ghost stories she would tell us while we were up there. Also the fresh spring water handpump we would fill our jugs up to take home.

I niss the colorful tile in the bathroom--it was pink and blue and always smelled of comet (cleanser)!

The thing I probably miss the most are the smells, they are about the only thing I can't duplicate. I love real natural wood trim and have ensured that I've had it in every home I've owned (if not there when I moved in, it was there when I left). I also saw a post about missing the built ins. These are harder to do but I've duplicated several of them over the years as well. Think about it, if you really miss something from an old house, just do it. That's why we're all do it fans of TOH.

Greg

My grandparents owned an American "Foursquare" home, probably built in the 1920's. My favorite memory had to be the octagonal stained glass window which illuminated the front stair landing. Using one wide oak stair as a seat, I would hold the intricately carved baluster and look at the tree lined street through shades of red, blue and green. Those were the days!!

Smile Re: TOH wants to know what you miss most about houses of the past

We live in a Craftsman style home; built in 1923. This is a one story, one bedroom home with stone foundation and brick construction, through and through! What I appreciated the first time walking through the house is the registers in the wall and on the floor. In the wintertime I put my damp shoes on the floor register to dry; by the next time I put on my shoes, they are dry and warm, which is great before going out in the cold weater.
    STLOUIEY
    "The best house is an old house." "You can't fix stupid!"

The house I grew up in had 10 ft. ceilings, transoms over the doors and cherry woodwork. The doorway (probably 9' by 6') between the living room and the 'front' room (which was probably originally the 'parlor') was closed with 4 huge solid cherry folding doors. It was beautiful. And they were never painted, either!

The ease of paying one off. Prices have grown so high i wonder if our kids will ever own one out right.

Whitewashed Trees --- Our streets were lined with large trees on both sides making a complete shade canopy over the neighborhood streets. Many of these trees were "whitewashed" about 3 1/2 feet up each tree uniformly painted. My young understanding was this was done to keep insects from infesting the trees. Must have worked!