+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default TOH wants to know what you miss most about houses of the past

TOH ****** Editor Betsy Andrews writes:

In the house I grew up in, there was a buzzer under the carpet by the dining room table. When you pressed it, it buzzed in the kitchen to call in the “servant.” We never had any servants, but us kids loved to press that buzzer—until we eventually broke it.

I miss that old buzzer. What old house detail do you miss most, and why?

Tell us about it here,
    or
    email Scott@thisoldhouse.com with subject line “Nostalgia.”

You might find your story in TOH magazine’s June issue.
    Last edited by Moderator; 02-23-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Smile Re: TOH wants to know what you miss most about houses of the past

I don't know if I'd say I MISS it the most, but the 6 ft by 6 ft room that my brother and I shared as a bedroom (aren't built in bunk beds wonderful) will always hold a special place in my heart. Room was tight for the five of us living in half of a duplex (a long converted four-square), but times (and expectations) were a bit different then. I have exacted a bit of revenge on the room though. My wife and I ended up buying the house from my mom, and the former bedroom is now my walk-in closet. The bunk beds might be gone, but I still hold onto the memory.

Default Re: TOH wants to know what you miss most about houses of the past

I always thought the back stair was the coolest thing.
    The front stair was a modestly grand and open affair with turned balusters and terminated in a nice foyer.
    The back servants stair(no servants either and their was a buzzer with a pointer to indicate the room calling) was steep and dark and went right to the kitchen. Nothing like playing hide and seek and being able to go up one stair, down the other and then back up again.
    The octopus in the basement was a wonder to a kid too, although I'll take my high efficiency furnace today with the way gas prices are.

Smile Re: TOH wants to know what you miss most about houses of the past

Front Porches! Todays construction sends us to the secluded back yard. Back in the day, you sat on the front purch and chated with people as they walked by. The house my wife grew up in still has the same swing after almost 50 years!!
    Robert StackhouseHidden Content

Built in cabinets, book cases, nooks and cubbies! Now you just get 4 bare walls and you have to take up floor space with your own furniture!

I miss the old wooden screen door. And my mother yelling "and don't slam the - (BANG!) - door".

Hank Kennedy

Luandry shoots and window seats

Golly, it's so hard to pick just one. Windows that open top and bottom? Reasonable size? Natural ventilation? Solid 6-panel doors? CHARM???

I'll go with the deep, thick trim, especially base trim.

Wink Re: TOH wants to know what you miss most about houses of the past

When I was little, the house that we lived in had this beautiful stained glass window (a half circle). The colors and pattern would shine onto the floor when there was a full moon. Nice to wake up to in the middle of the night.

I miss the way houses used to be built before cheaper material was used. When there were ceilings 9 - 10 feet tall (great if you have kids that want to ride on you shoulders), the moldings on the windows were fancy, the floor had a rich stain wood color, and the doors were solid wood instead of hollow. I could go on, but I think you get my point. They just don't make them like that anymore for either codes reasons or money reasons. It's sad.