+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Check Valve???

Default Check Valve???

I am having to redo my plumbing from galvanized and installing copper. With this redo, I am wanting to set the system up for a future water softener installation, meaning I am wanting to place the outside faucets on a seperate run, teed off prior to the softener.

Here in Illinois, they don't want a stub longer than 2 feet to create "stagnent water". Since water in that run could sit for a couple months, should a check valve be installed to isolate it?

This situation I am having isn't much different than a PEX home-run setup, what is done for those systems?

Thanks

Default Re: Check Valve???

Since the outside faucet will be connected to the softener, or at least down stream from it, why not rough in the new line and just not connect it into the system until the softener goes in. As a matter of fact, since you're going to have a plumber there for the softener install, why not just have them run the new faucet line then?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

My intent is to tee the line for the outside water prior (up stream) to a softener, so it will not be part of the softened inside water system.

The timeline from my re-piping to a water softener install could be a matter of as little as a few weeks.

Regarding letting them do the re-pipe work, my labor is free...

Not sure that it would be a problem, but if you aren't going to use the faucet, why install it? If it's a seasonal thing, then I'd install a shut-off where you branch the faucet, that way you can turn it off and drain the line to prevent freeze damage or the stagnant water problem.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

put a shut off valve on the stub out close to the tee so no water enters until your ready to use it.