+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air in Pipes

Default Air in Pipes

I have a forced hot water system that was installed many years ago before we purchased our home. We are getting a lot of banging noise from the pipes mostly on our second floor. It is keeping my child awake at night.
    I was going to try and bleed the lines only to find that there was no way to bleed them.
    Any suggestions on how I can get the air out of my lines so the banging will stop?

Default Re: Air in Pipes

If the system is heating in all rooms you don't have any air in the lines. What you are more then likely experiencing is the lines are at some point to tight through a hole in the flooring or through a floor joist or stud. When the heat first comes on the heat lines expand and move. If they can't move freely then you get the sounds you are describing. Try to isolate where it is coming from and free up the line. Hopefully it's in a location you can get at.

John

John,

Thank you for responding. I will check this out and see if I can fix the banging noise that way.
    Would you suggest trying to make the hole larger or try to put something around the pipe that might make it stop hit the hole?

Joe

Make the hole larger.

John

Thanks John I will give it a try.