+ Reply to Thread

Question Can a toilet overflow without first being flushed?

We recently stayed in a house in Atlanta (as corporate housing) and two day after we left, the property owner sent us this in an email:

"Some one in your party stopped up the comode and caused it to overflow and thus damaging the sheetrock in my ceilings."

The toilet was fine when we left and it was even fine a couple of hours later when the property manager checked it. It wasn't until the next night that the property manager found the overflow and damage to the ceiling (which was pretty extensive!). What could have happened?

The owner said that we left the toilet running, but I've never known a running toilet to overflow. He also swears that the manager didn't flush the toilet the night we left. So how does an untouched toilet suddenly overflow?

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Can a toilet overflow without first being flushed?

the overflow that takes water from the tank to the bowl in the event of an overflow could have been clogged with something but unlikely. more plausible in my opinion is that the waste pipe either in the toilet trap or further down the pipe was stopped up from the last person that used it and then once the toilet valve broke and water overflowed to the bowl it had nowhere to go. that would be my guess. just an idea though

Thanks for the reply. So how does a toilet valve break? Wear and tear or would it have to be from a flush?

If the toilet was clogged and the flapper valve leaked it could overflow. The amount of time to overflow would depend on how badly the flapper valve leaked.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The bowl might be cracked which may explain the water damage.