+ Reply to Thread

Default new boiler options

Hi,

I may need to replace my boiler (furnace?). It is very old and lately it has been shutting off. My husband and I have to reset it (push a red button) and it fires right up, however we don't know when it will shut off again.

We have been doing this for about 1 week. We have had the outside motor replaced but that didn't help.

My question is what are my options? I have no gas in the house. I have an oil tank and radiators through out the house.

Is there any efficient boilers that would be worth the investment? I have been told that I am looking at about 5,000 dollars for a new boiler. Do I need a new water tank, ours is attached to the boiler. Can I get a tankless tank?

Do I have any options??

Any help (expertise) would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely - Karen

Default Re: new boiler options

even the inexpensive new furnaces are more effieient than the old ones. updating would probably be a good idea and save you quite a bit on oil. you can do tankless but the main reason i wouldn't recommend that is because every time you turn on a faucet, the furnace kicks on. what you would ideally like to get is a holding tank heated by the furnace. we upgraded our furnace 2 1/2 years ago, switched from oil to gas, because we had it available but it wasn't a necessity. our heating bill dropped by more than half and that included hot water which used to be an electric hot water heater before. also, if you plan on being in your house for more than 5 or so years, the more money you spend getting a more efficient unit, the more you will save in the long run.....oil bill for us 3 years ago (heat only, no hot water), just over $3,000, gas bill for us in 2007 just over $1,400 (hot water included)

Default Re: new boiler options

kaszd01:

The minor problem you're having with the red reset button is no reason to panic & spend $5,000 now for a new boiler system.

This type of problem is most likely caused by some dirt in the fuel line, or the burner that can be corrected with a simple cleaning.

Also take a wrench & tighten all the oil lines between the oil tank & the burner, including the filter to eliminate any pinhole leaks---a pinhole air leak will also shut it down.

Your or your husband will have to learn how to prime the burner next time it shuts down so you can re-start it right away.

Oil burners have to be cleaned once a year religiously; if you have a contract with your oil supply dealer the cleaning is included in the deal, if not, consult the Yellow Pages under "oil burners", cleaning to get an independent contractor in to clean the burner & replace the nozzle & filters.

If you or your husband wants to attempt it yourself, post back.

In any event, you should wait til the end of the heating season when installers have less work to do & you can take the time to get 4-6 quotes on a new system over the summer.

http://www.inspect-ny.com/heat/OilBurners.htm
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 02-23-2009 at 04:11 PM.