+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Upstairs colder than rest

We have 2160 square foot two story partially finished basement home in Michigan. My wife and I just bought the house in November 2010. The thermostat is in our office on the main floor. It is so much colder upstairs where our room and our two girls sleep rooms are. We have to have heat set at 72 but it does not help warm upstairs. My wife is wanting to sell the house because she is always cold. We have peachtree windows throughout and 2 of them, main floor, don't seal 100%. I have a small draft from these two but why is our second floor so cold? Does thermostat need recalibration? How much insulation in attic do we need? Is it worth having a company come out and give us a Heating and Cooling Analysis? NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Default Re: Upstairs colder than rest

Do you have forced air heat, hydronic heat, steam heat or other? Do you have individual heating units for the two floors? Do you have an open stairway with a hall at the top? Is the hall warm and the bedrooms cold, or both? Do you keep the office door closed? Do you have the thermostat programmed for night setback? Is the office staying at 72 degrees according to a quality thermometer? How much colder is the upstairs, according to a quality thermometer? Is your wife complaining she was cold in the whole house, or just upstairs? You should have more than 16" attic insulation, in my opinion. Yes it is worth it if you hire a good company. Your wife wants a new house after only 3 months and you haven't called in any professionals yet? At least get some energy conservation company to do an infrared scan video of the place to see where you are losing your heat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eayV...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjfPD...eature=related
    Last edited by ZZZ; 01-24-2011 at 01:48 PM.
    "Lead by Example"

Yes, it is almost always much more economical to make the relatively minor changes needed to make it a warm house, than to move to another place.

The lack of heat can be remedied if you follow ZZZ's points & provide the info he requested.

Also, what are the lowest overnite temperatures you are experiencing at your location, & what is the BTU output of the furnace/boiler????--this info is usually listed on the boiler/furnace nametag on the front of the unit.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 01-24-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NashuaTech View Post
    Yes, it is almost always much more economical to make the relatively minor changes needed to make it a warm house, than to move to another place.

The lack of heat can be remedied if you follow ZZZ's points & provide the info he requested.

Also, what are the lowest overnite temperatures you are experiencing at your location, & what is the BTU output of the furnace/boiler????--this info is usually listed on the boiler/furnace nametag on the front of the unit.
    Thanks Nashua,
    I find it is more important to ask the right questions, when reading these posts. Some never respond with an answer, which I don't understand, but if they do, they are much more likely to get a useful answer to their problem. I especially like the posters who come back later and tell us what they found the problem was caused by.
    "Lead by Example"