+ Reply to Thread

Default (20's) plaster above bathroom subway tiles slopes out the last 4-5 inches?

I was going to gut my plaster walls and drywall over it because it's pretty beat up and there seems to be a slight slope going out towards the nose of the highest subway, about shoulder height.

But my wise dad says that because it's so consistent all around maybe that was part of the old design. It's all solid, not crumbly.

So because of this and that this old plaster is irreplaceable in it's fortitude, I've decided to knock out and skim and make it nice again.

Anyone ever heard of this characteristic?

Default Re: (20's) plaster above bathroom subway tiles slopes out the last 4-5 inches?

Quote Originally Posted by Bungalocity View Post
    I was going to gut my plaster walls and drywall over it because it's pretty beat up and there seems to be a slight slope going out towards the nose of the highest subway, about shoulder height.

But my wise dad says that because it's so consistent all around maybe that was part of the old design. It's all solid, not crumbly.

So because of this and that this old plaster is irreplaceable in it's fortitude, I've decided to knock out and skim and make it nice again.

Anyone ever heard of this characteristic?
    Pay attention to your Dad.It has worked as designed for the past 90 years why make it a problem.
    That plaster is mostlikly Keneen Cement Plaster and was applied with the cant to shed water to the tile surface.
    I picture the top tile as square edge no bullnose tile at the top.
    If you use todays plaster products in the shower area it will not last.

Default Re: (20's) plaster above bathroom subway tiles slopes out the last 4-5 inches?

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Bauer View Post
    Pay attention to your Dad.It has worked as designed for the past 90 years why make it a problem.
    That plaster is mostlikly Keneen Cement Plaster and was applied with the cant to shed water to the tile surface.
    I picture the top tile as square edge no bullnose tile at the top.
    If you use todays plaster products in the shower area it will not last.
    Haha it will last after I get done priming it. I'm about to seal myself in there with lots of 20/45, sanding pads and pizza.

That totally makes sense, thanks for confirming what I suspected! Dad was right again. It's all just too perfect to be bad craftsmanship or sagging. Genius!
    Maybe I'm using the wrong term in 'bullnose' but the top tile is like the letter P. It has about a cm of flat until it curves. Then above that a super steep gradient over about 7" then flatten out vertical.

thanks much!