+ Reply to Thread

Default Home remodeling insulation question?

Hello all, have a question and trying to double check my decision on our home renovation.

We are adding a second story to our existing home. In order to not disturb the 1st floor ceiling the existing roof joist will be Left as is a a new second floor floor joists will be installed over them. There is currently insulation in the old roof joist consisting of paper backed insulation with the paper side facing to the living space and blown insulation above that. It is in good condition no mold or damage of any type.

So on to the question, do we leave the existing insulation as it is? At first the builder said we would remove it and I said why. It can function as sound insulation and insultate between the two floors. The first floor has a forced air HVAC system and the second floor will get a new HVAC system as a separate zone. I am not sure why we would remove it. I figure it has somne nice advantages.

Am I missing something??? The contractor agreed but wan to double check and make sure we are not missing something, so what is your opionons????

Thanks Ike

Default Re: Home remodeling insulation question?

No, the insulation will do no harm. It will act as a sound dampening agent, which is a plus, particularly if you've got kids.

Another thing to do is DO NOT attach the ceiling joists to the new floor trusses. You want to keep them mechanically independent so as not to transfer sound from the floor above. I've done a couple of 2nd story additions and we set the floor joists between the ceiling joists specifically for this purpose.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

precisely as spruce says, if possible leave a 1/2" space between the ceiling joists and the new floor joists so they dont rub causing squeaks. you still might have some sections of the ceiling cut into but more than likely that will be by subcontractors having to run a water line or cables
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks for the reponses all. Exactly what we are up to, no direct connection and a gap between the two stuctural elements.

I just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything with regards to the insulation, it made sense to leave it, sound insulation between the two zones etc. No kids but I am very loud.

Thanks again!!!!