+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathroom ventilation

Click here to find out more!
    I need to install a fan for ventilation in my first floor bathroom. I live in a story and a half home and there is a bedroom directly above my bathroom. I don't want to have to hack into too much to install a ceiling fan so I've been looking into the through the wall vent fans. my only concern is the model i'm looking into (broan 512m) requires a 6 inch hole to go through my wall and the only thing that is going to stop the cold air (i live in central Illinois) is the plastic louvered wall cap that came with the fan. My house is drafty enough as it is but this just seems like it would be the same as leave the hole wide open to the elements. Especially since the wall is facing my neighbors home and its only a driveway width away so i can guess the wind would tend to open the louvers.

Does anyone have any insight on how to go about ventilating my bathroom with a through the wall unit and the best wall cap to use or even how o keep the cold air out? Should i get one of those range caps that have the shield on them? they don't seem to close nice and tight as the vinyl does though.

any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Default Re: Bathroom ventilation

most units have a internal flew that only opens out so the exhausted air can escape. as for running the line for it. you'll have to figure out which direction the upper floor joists run so that you know if you can run the vent line directly out. otherwise you may have to build a bulhead to bury it in
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Default Re: Bathroom ventilation

I have faced this problem. In my case, I was able to bore a hole in the outside wall into the end of a joist bay, and insert a 4" vent pipe (I used a flexible/expandable metal pipe) through the hole to the fan. I removed the mounting ears on the fan and mounted it flush in the ceiling, connecting the vent pipe before installing the fan. I then connected the other end to the exhaust hood and installed the hood in the exterior wall. Only two holes were needed: one for the hood and one for the fan. It was not necessary to lift the upstairs floor or cut extra holes in the ceiling.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.