+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concrete steps

Default Concrete steps

Is there a way to dispose of solid concrete steps? They are about 4' wide and 2' high. Too heavy to move and a sledge hammer didn't do anything to them. They are right in the way of where I want to put a walking path from the parking to the front door. They are where the old front door was. They were covered with a deck that I removed.

Default Re: Concrete steps

There are several things you can do, you can choose which will work best for your situation.

1 - Dig a big hole and bury it.
    2 - Dig them up, get a rock under it, and beat on it with a sledge hammer. Pieces should break off when you get air under the area you're beating on.
    3 - Rent a jack hammer.
    4 - Drill a series of holes to give it a place to break, then beat it with a sledge.
    5 - Drill a series of holes and then use feathers and wedges to split the steps apart.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    There are several things you can do, you can choose which will work best for your situation.

1 - Dig a big hole and bury it.
    2 - Dig them up, get a rock under it, and beat on it with a sledge hammer. Pieces should break off when you get air under the area you're beating on.
    3 - Rent a jack hammer.
    4 - Drill a series of holes to give it a place to break, then beat it with a sledge.
    5 - Drill a series of holes and then use feathers and wedges to split the steps apart.
    6 - Drill a hole. Pack it with blasting powder, top off with a cap. Call the neighbors over. Hand your beer to someone to hold and say "watch this!" Call 911.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    6 - Drill a hole. Pack it with blasting powder, top off with a cap. Call the neighbors over. Hand your beer to someone to hold and say "watch this!" Call 911.
    Just shy of that suggestion, there is an expansion caulk of some kind that you drill holes, fill with the caulk, and over a day or two it expands and splits whatever needs splitting. I heard of this substance on another forum when someone was trying to get rid of a big rock. I don't know where one would find such a substance, so the first 5 suggestions would be the safest. Fencepost's suggestion would be the most fun.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Renting a jackhammer is probably your best option. If you are of a slight build, you may find that a jackhammer is unwieldy; rent a "rotohammer" with a chisel bit instead. It will do the same job as a jackhammer, but slower and in a smaller package (about the size of a very large electric drill).

Be sure to wear eye and ear protection, and don't wear clothes that you care about. This will be a dirty job.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Sounds like a big job no matter which way I go with it. Would it be easier to just put it on pipes and roll it somewhere and make a plant stand out of it?

Depends, you got several brawny men and a few small children to help out?

Spruce:

The expansion calk is known as a SLURRY.

It is mixed with water & placed in the drilled holes, like you said.

Within 3 hours it expands & cracks the rock/concrete, which can then be easily disassembled.

A heavy tarp or similar covering should be put over the piece being worked to prevent any flying pieces doing damage.

Goes by several names:
    Dexpan, Sylentmite, Demosol & many others.

Readily available at construction supply houses & unlike the sales restrictions on dynamite & nitroglycerin, it is mostly harmless & can be sold to anyone with little or no training.

The product also doesn't cause unwanted vibrations that could damage nearby structures.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 01-24-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    The product also doesn't cause unwanted vibrations that could damage nearby structures.
    But that's the funnerest part! It blowed up, it blowed up REEEAL good!

Sorry, old SNL flashback ...

I'll have to look for some the next time I'm down at Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Depends, you got several brawny men and a few small children to help out?
    I was thinking maybe some pvc pipe and a car jack might do it. Someone told me I could actually move my 8x8 shed myself that way.