+ Reply to Thread

Default Rust-Oleum countertop coating

Has anyone tried Rust-Oleum countertop coating?

Just came across the product in my local big box store and thought it an interesting (and inexpensive) solution to a ugly rose colored, laminated bathroom counter top.

Saw a couple of product reviews on other web sites, but was curious if anyone on TOH site had any experience with it. The fumes are nasty (they opened the can @ store since I wanted to see how "white" the tint base is).

Default Re: Rust-Oleum countertop coating

I personally wouldn't go near the stuff. You can replace your counters with new formica tops for relatively cheap.

The problems with coatings is that they WILL wear and they WILL flake off, and you don't want any of that stuff in or near your food. I'm willing to bet that even casual handling isn't a great idea either.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would second Spruce's thoughts. I would sooner put the money toward a new counter top. Composite tops are to b had for well under $100. I just replaced mine with genuine granite for only $200.

I have smelled that Rustoleum counter top paint. It is intense!
    Even the professionally sprayed renewal systems rarely buy you more than 2 or 3 years time before they start failing.

Right now Home Depot has some really good prices on new vanity and top packages. These are sold almost as a loss leader. They hope to make it up by selling you a new faucet, traps, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    really good prices on new vanity and top packages.
    DOH! The devil is in the details! LOL When I read the question I was thinking kitchen counters. My opinion doesn't change about the Rust-o-leum product, but the countertop changes a little.

Like Orj said, vanity tops are generally pretty reasonable, unless you need a two hole'r or a strange size. Still, cultured or real stone tops really are the way to go.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!