Thread: draffty house

Default draffty house

We have a house that was built in the 1950's and there is always a constand draft. we don't know what to do to keep the house warm. We constantly have our heat up to 73 degrees and it is still freezing in here. does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep the heat in and cold air out that is not as expensive as hiring someone to insulate every wall in our house?

Default Re: draffty house

this is crazy, I came here hoping to find some help from some pro's, vets, or someone who just really knows...I have the same problem. I'm a young guy, I saw my mother buy this beautiful Brick home; no basement no attic but there is a crawl space beneath the house and there are certain areas where I feel cold air getting in...and I really want to help her insulate the home...smh this is sad for me to see here losing hope in her dream home. someone please help us lol

I hope you get the response you're looking for, in turn it could help me help my mother...

been there i have 50's house no easy way around there is
    no miracle insulation even thou some say there is

first you would want 1 1/2 thick spray foam in crawl space dont block up vents if there are any you still vant ventillation

second you will need to pull wall down on outside walls isulate and put back up there is no other way!!!

some say there is another way i tried it spent alot and guess what it did not work!!!

Wink Re: draffty house

If the floor is not insulated, most experts and code allows to seal off crawlspace. Your duct work is probably not insulated in older house, so you are conditioning space as well, on out vents. First get the right size 4 mill plastic for vapor barrier and put down to entire crawlspace floor, partially up walls. Use house wrap tape on seams. Spray foam is the best on walls, but very expensive. I opt for 9" insulation cut to fit tightly against floor and ground. Be sure to insulate rim joist as well. If you can get foil faced, it works well to tape seams with house wrap tape as well. Look for any cracks in mortar, around windows and doors, etc. New windows and doors will make allot of differance as well.If you want to insulate walls without taking off drywall, a good insulation contractor can install either blown in fiberglass or cellulose through 1" holes through brick, walls, mortar holes.
    I usually gut the house and upgrade wiring and plumbing from the get go and save headaches down the road.