+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Can I Side over existing wood??

Quote Originally Posted by cspalding22 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice, it is an old garage, from 1890. The siding is in fact attached to the studs with nothing between the siding and studs. I really did not want to remove the siding, install plywood, then side. I think you are right Gizmo and will shim as necessary, thanks again.

Chris
    Your welcome Chris. *** 1890 thats sweet.... To bad you cant save the existing siding if its in pretty good shape.

Take your time doing the work and have fun!!!!!!! Stop back in if you have anymore questions. And please post some finish pictures whe yur done..

Good Luck
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

What a GREAT garage!

Why not just paint it? You do know you will destroy all the character it has. Why make it look like all the other bad new construction out there.

Adding siding to existing siding will make it look like a house that had vinyl siding added to it - like trash. You will lose the shadow line around the window and door. To see examples of what vinyl siding does, (even if you do not use vinyl but apply a product over what you have) visit http://www.oldhouseguy.com

Really - you have a great garage - don't change it - just take care of it.

Good luck,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by MLBSF View Post
    i'm on jkirk's side with this one, 100%
    ive installe a fair amount of concrete siding, and we spend a large part of the time simply prepping for the siding. first sealing the house so no water will get in and then installing the vertical strapping, shimming as needed checking it to make sure the walls are true. so much as a 1/4" variation on 16" will show up

Thanks Ken, only problem is it is covered in lead paint and don't want to sc**** it off.

***, you can't say scr a p e d on this site, eh?