+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can I Side over existing wood??

Was thinking of fiber cement this spring on my garage, as the existing wood is not worth painting. Can I just put the cement siding over the existing wood siding or do I need to take it down? If I can just put it over, do I need to put anything in between? I have attached a picture of my existing garage.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	garage.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	3890  

Default Re: Can I Side over existing wood??

fibre cement such as harti plank or certainteed should be installed on top of a proper rain screen, meaning sheathed walls with house wrap then vertical strapping nailed to the studs.

installing it over top of existing siding will not only void the warrenty it will look terrible as it wont lie properly
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    fibre cement such as harti plank or certainteed should be installed on top of a proper rain screen, meaning sheathed walls with house wrap then vertical strapping nailed to the studs.

installing it over top of existing siding will not only void the warrenty it will look terrible as it wont lie properly

I would feel comfortable installing the siding over your old. Your existing siding looks like its all flat and not beveled lap siding,so it should lie pretty flat.
    You may need to build out the door trim or add an extension liner to butt the new siding to.
    If a coarse of siding falls in the recessed void of the old siding fill it in if thats where the nail will be.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

i'm on jkirk's side with this one, 100%

ive seen guys try to do install it over and it looks horrible. because of how lap siding lays on the wall it absolutely has to be installed to a flat surface. its a thin product and any irregularities in the wall will show up. you will see a lot of waviness in the wall otherwise.

ive installe a fair amount of concrete siding, and we spend a large part of the time simply prepping for the siding. first sealing the house so no water will get in and then installing the vertical strapping, shimming as needed checking it to make sure the walls are true. so much as a 1/4" variation on 16" will show up

concrete siding doesnt allow for floating it like vinyl does

Red face Re: Can I Side over existing wood??

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    ive seen guys try to do install it over and it looks horrible. because of how lap siding lays on the wall it absolutely has to be installed to a flat surface. its a thin product and any irregularities in the wall will show up. you will see a lot of waviness in the wall otherwise.

ive installe a fair amount of concrete siding, and we spend a large part of the time simply prepping for the siding. first sealing the house so no water will get in and then installing the vertical strapping, shimming as needed checking it to make sure the walls are true. so much as a 1/4" variation on 16" will show up

concrete siding doesnt allow for floating it like vinyl does
    GeeWizz,,,,,its a garage that looks like its been around forever. The existing siding might be nailed directly to the studs,should Chris remove it all then re-sheath with plywood???
    Wavy siding is usally due to bowed studs,loose sheating or the wall's were not braced off straight/correctly before the roof rafter were installed.

If the existing "Shiplap" siding is nailed tight and not to wavy it shouldnt be a problem to go directly over it with the Hardi. He still has the ability to shim as needed. If the existing walls had 1x or plywood sheating with 4'X8'OR 9' Reverse Board & Batten (RB&B) siding installed on it would you still want him remove it all down to the studs?

If money/time wasnt an object then I could "possibly" see going through all the steps your suggesting but not in this case. Hell if money wasnt an object he could hire a contractor to tear the old one down and start from scratch. They would still have to shim for the crooked/wavy studs that come out of the Canada Mills
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

you must have misunderstood my post, strip the siding not the sheathing. the sheathing stays in place, . then put housewrap over the sheathing, from there the vertical strapping goes on. there has to be an airspace between the siding and the wall so to allow water that gets behind the siding drain down the wall

you could put 1/4" or 3'8" ply over the existing siding then install the claps or simply install vertical spacers every 16" and nail it to that. but i wouldn't apply hardiplank directly to ship lap siding, it won't look right when you're done.

i realize it's an old garage but isn't the goal to spruce it up. if you're going to spend that money, do it right the first time and you won;t have to worry about it again.

just keep in mind if you go over the old siding with another layer of plywood your existing windows will have to be furred out that much more as well as requiring longer nails to fasten the strapping to studs,

Thanks everyone for the advice, it is an old garage, from 1890. The siding is in fact attached to the studs with nothing between the siding and studs. I really did not want to remove the siding, install plywood, then side. I think you are right Gizmo and will shim as necessary, thanks again.

Chris