+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pipe Pitch?

Hybrid View

Default Pipe Pitch?

Is there a way to tell/trick of the trade/ to see if a buried pipe is pitched properly?

I have a floor drain in my basement that i want to convert to use for the washing machine discharge (it's cast-iron pipe, the bell trap came out cleanly so going to use a fernco doughnut to a 3" ABS and go from there.

my only concern is that when i dump a few buckets of water down it, there seems to be a little bit that sits in the elbow (that i can see) i can hear the water drain away, but just want to make sure i'm not setting myself up for issues later on. (this will be correctly vented, etc)

Default Re: Pipe Pitch?

Howdy how far is the drain from a vertical vent stack affects the draining of liquid. Have you scoped the drain pipe to determine if it is ok? Or at least snaked it? the slope of the sewer line needs 1/4" per foot.

Default Re: Pipe Pitch?

i have not scoped it yet.

in terms of distance from vent, it was previously a floor drain with an old cat iron bell trap. in terms of distance from the main stack, about 9ft. the pipe is about 3.5" inside diameter.

I'm wondering if the small amount of water sitting in the elbow is a result of the casting of the pipe? the inside is not exactly round and it's about 100 years old.