+ Reply to Thread

Default Is it possible....

to build a new house over say maybe a 10 year period? How long could a foundation sit "waiting" after being poured? I think I would like just a slab foundation. What are the pros and cons of a slab? I want the house to be low to the ground so there will be no steps to the outside. I also thought a slab would be good for thermal mass. I want to build a block 2 story home on it and add a fake brick to it later. The 1st level would be about 965 sq. feet. Upstairs maybe 400-600 sf. What would the cost be on the slab foundation in NE Ohio? My reason for doing it this way is credit and cost. I have no credit so can't get it financed. I have my cottage I can live in for now (that's falling apart piece by piece) that is on the same lot. I have 3 lots side by side, the cottage sits on one end lot, I want to build on the middle lot. And I figure everything is just going to go up and up in price so maybe I could buy piece by piece now and build over the years. Had I started 10 years ago, I could have been done already! If I just save the money I'll end up spending it on something else in the meantime plus with the costs going up all the time I'll have to keep saving more and more. Plus I'd feel like I was actually acomplishing something by seeing it evolve a little at time. What do you think?

Default Re: Is it possible....

DO NOT start construction without the financing or cash to complete the project. You'd be far better off to spend the next 5 to 7 years cleaning up your credit so you can get financing to do the job properly. To do otherwise will cost you far more money, time, and quite likely you'll never finish, so every penny you've spent will be lost.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Building permits have time limits, especially if work isn't ongoing.
    A. Spruce's plan is a better way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Building permits have time limits, especially if work isn't ongoing.
    Good point ed, permits are only good for about a year, then they have to be renewed. Regular inspections can extend them, and stagnant construction will definitely cause them to lapse, then you're starting the permit process over again. On top of that, as codes change, you'll likely have to go back and update everything you've already done to current standards. And yes, codes do change or are amended yearly.

Additional issues are that you can be cited for blight, and encourage transient squatters and looters to damage the work already completed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Good thoughts and advice on that one. I was hoping I might get it somewhat together incase this one doesn't last much longer. Jumpin the gun I guess.