+ Reply to Thread

Default Water leaking into walls

I have a problem with water running down into the walls from the roof. It's rotted out the door frame now and caused mold and termites. It leaks into the electrical box too. Is this caused by the roof not having enough of an overhang or from not having gutters or something else? It's caused alot of major damage.

Default Re: Water leaking into walls

Could be the roof, could be flashings, could be something else. Too many variables and too little info on the structure.

What type and how old is the roof?
    Is there any plumbing in or near the wall in question?
    Is the leak from floor to ceiling?
    Are there any windows in this wall, and is the damage worse around the windows?

A leaking roof isn't the cause of termites, those little suckers appear all on their own. They live in the ground and come up into the wood structure to eat. You've got to break any earth to wood contact, replace any critter damaged material, and pick up all rakeable cellulose debris from under the house. This alone may not be enough, you may also have to have a pest company apply chemical treatments to drive the termites away.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Could be the roof, could be flashings, could be something else. Too many variables and too little info on the structure.

What type and how old is the roof?
    Is there any plumbing in or near the wall in question?
    Is the leak from floor to ceiling?
    Are there any windows in this wall, and is the damage worse around the windows?

A leaking roof isn't the cause of termites, those little suckers appear all on their own. They live in the ground and come up into the wood structure to eat. You've got to break any earth to wood contact, replace any critter damaged material, and pick up all rakeable cellulose debris from under the house. This alone may not be enough, you may also have to have a pest company apply chemical treatments to drive the termites away.
    The roof is just regular shingles. Over 15 years old. I think it was fairly new when I moved here 15 years ago. No plumbing in either of the walls. It's on both ends of the house where gutters would go, (not the peak sides). There are windows in one of the walls but none in the other. Seems to be higher on the wall where the mold and water stains are. The kitchen is leaking thru a seam in the drywall in the center of the kitchen. I'm thinking maybe some shingles came off over that area. Must be running along a 2x4, it's near the light fixture in the kitchen. Attached a pic, not sure if it helps at all. South side of the house has the door and windows. North and south sides are leaking. That pic is from when I moved back in here a couple years ago. The front porch under the single window with all the garbage on it I tore off. And the boarded up window is covered with siding now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house 32.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	3889  
    Last edited by victorian; 01-20-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Judging from the approximate age of the roof and the looks of the structure in general, it is likely a roof leak. You can verify by going into the attic and looking for staining or damage to the rafters and roof sheathing, as well as seeing daylight.

It is always best to strip all the old roofing off, down to bare sheathing before installing new shingles. This provides a better base for the new shingles and will help them last longer. It also allows you complete access to damaged areas to be repaired BEFORE the new roof goes down, which should include rafter tail replacement, fascia replacement, sheathing replacement, etc.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!