+ Reply to Thread

Question Which Type Bath Tub Best?

I just moved into my 1935 house about 6 months ago. I've been busy doing all kinds of home repair. I've discovered that the bathtub in our main bathroom is very poor quality and must be replaced. (It is very thin and flimsy and has developed an 8 inch crack). I would like replace the plastic tub surround and put up simple white tile instead while the tub is being replaced. My problem is determining what type of tub would work well with tile. I've had contractors suggest acrylic but seems like that would flex and disturb the tile. Also, I need it to be a sturdy tub that will last many years. Is there anything out there that isn't too heavy, won't flex too much and will be able to hold up well?

Really appreciate any advice you could give.

Default Re: Which Type Bath Tub Best?

A metal tub with an enamel finish will be far better and last longer than any fiberglass unit. It is more rigid, not that it needs less support from underneath, and more resistant to cleaning and cleansers than fiberglass units. In the long run, a metal tub will be more valuable than a fiberglass unit upon resale.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I think an acrylic tub is a great idea. It may not last 50 years but then again remodels won't be in style that long anyways. Acrylic is easy to clean, won't rust, is sturdy, and goes great with tile. Remember acrylic and fiberglass or plastic or Vykrell are on different playing fields.

whatever yo decide on, make sure that it's constructed with metal in it. the acrylic tubs with plastic surrounding the metal liner are great for remodels,
    American Standard as well as Kohler make them. they'r light enough that i can put them in place myself and strong enough that they don't need any additional base support at all.

I like the metal tub feels nice and sturdy.
    Just make sure to get a quality one and not the cheap bottom line builders grade. The cheap ones flex and warp to much. When we remodeled our bathroom we put in a higher quality steel tub that replaced the cheaper one and it was night and day for quality.

Smile Re: Which Type Bath Tub Best?

Thank you very much for your advice. After much thought I decided to go with an Americast tub by American Standard. It is supposed to be as sturdy as a cast iron tub and yet isn't so heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenCB View Post
    Thank you very much for your advice. After much thought I decided to go with an Americast tub by American Standard. It is supposed to be as sturdy as a cast iron tub and yet isn't so heavy.

HelenCB - I'm looking at Americast right now for a bath remodel. It's been a little over a year... any thoughts on the Americast?
    Would you recommend?