+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's Up With Zinser BIN?

There is hardly a primer I have more respect for than BIN, but I just looked at the price of a gallon at Home Depot. Last week it was about $27, Now it is $39 and change!!!! Are those little oriental bugs charging more for their droppings these days?

Clear shellac took a dramatic price rise too!

Default Re: What's Up With Zinser BIN?

I'm amazed at the price of materials every time I go to the store. At some point they've got to start dropping - I hope!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

A little insider info. here...

Shellac resin harvests have been moderately off for a couple years. Zinsser/Rust-oleum was finally forced to implement a BIG price hike this winter, and it doesn't sound temporary!

Dealers got a letter earlier this winter. Just an ugly fact of supply & demand! Sooooo...on Jan. 1, we had to change prices...Uffda.

It's still the primer of choice for many projects though.

Faron

Faron,

I have to agree that BIN is a really fine product, but I wonder at what point tradesmen begin to look for alternatives.

I certainly have to do a sales job to get a civilian homeowner to buy BIN over the original Kilz or similar product. Granted,
    BIN is superior, in my opinion, at least for odor control, but the cost conscious homeowner is probably going to take Kilz at 1/3rd the price!

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    I certainly have to do a sales job to get a civilian homeowner to buy BIN over the original Kilz or similar product. Granted,
    BIN is superior, in my opinion, at least for odor control, but the cost conscious homeowner is probably going to take Kilz at 1/3rd the price!
    I agree, but at least they're still getting a decent product with the original Kilz, unlike Kilz2 which isn't worth the can it's sold in.

As far as tradesmen changing products, I'm sure that some will, but those that value a job well done and done right the first time. will still spend for the good stuff. Is it more expensive? Absolutely, but there isn't anything else that performs nearly as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Re: What's Up With Zinser BIN?

Spruce,

You are right, most tradesmen won't change. In the total cost of a bid, materials usually are only a few percentage points of the total contract. Contractors who have a loyal clientel will only use the best quality paint and supplies.

It might make some difference to those who do more commercial work, such as fire jobs. If I am holding the trigger open on an airless for several hours a day, price starts to be of some concern. Also, a contractor bidding on new work has to keep his bid more competitive than the contractor who works for existing customers who know and appreciate his work and are willing to pay of premium for it.

In general, paint prices have seemed to be holding somewhat level. Some of the national brands have a way to go to justify prices approaching $60 per gallon retail, especially when they rate down the list when tested by independant rating companies.
    After you have used premium acrylic resins and loaded it down with plenty of premium titanium dioxide, how do you justify doubling the price? Granted, there are many innovations such as ceramic and nano particles, but come on! Double the price?

Those little lac bugs must have gone on strike!

I can only speak for how I sold customers on doing things right.

First thing I'd tell them is that I only get paid to do the job once, so I'm going to do it properly with the right materials. When you call me back it's because you have more work you want done, not because something has failed.

Next thing I tell them is that this is the cost of the materials, and why these particular materials are best suited to their needs.

When they understand these things, then they usually stop questioning prices.

Yeah....the increased price is gonna sting a little for those who have to spray whole interiors/restorations with it...ugggh.

I don't see how ANYONE can be around that Kilz Original Oil for even a couple minutes!!! I get dizzy after 2 minutes with it! It's the ONLY Kilz product we stock...on purpose. Some painters come in and just want that stuff...OY!!!
    I primed my whole family room with BIN in 2003, and all I got was a dry throat!
    When we've got Zinsser's group of primers and the C2 stuff, there's no need for more primers.

Faron

I've been very pleased with the performance of Zinsser products, which makes them my first choice. Nothing has the odor knock down ***** or BIN.

I once had a project I lovingly referred to as The Cat House. Homeowner lost the house to foreclosure and I was hired to clean it out and rehab it for resale. Neighbors told me that there were at least two dozen cats along with a few dogs in the house with NO litter box. You could smell the place just standing in the driveway, stepping inside would literally take your breath away. After gutting it as much as we were allowed by budget constraints, every surface inside the house was sealed with two coats of BIN, walls, ceilings, floors, cabinet interiors, every square inch of the place. The bottom 12" of the walls got a few extra coats due to the animals spraying the walls. It was so bad that the wall furnace was completely rusted out on the bottom where the animals were hosing it.

After all that primer, two coats of paint, new carpet and vinyl, the odors had been reduced to a mere slight mustiness. Once we were done, we never went back, so I don't know how things held up. If I would have had my way I'd have stripped the walls 4 feet up and replaced them. Yes, the place was really that bad, and BIN saved the day.

this price increase wasnt really something that came out of the blue. last summer my painter dropped the news on us when the gulf oil spill happpened. stating the prices would be jumping by 30% within 6 months or so

reason being the main bonding agent used in primers and paint is amazing at oil cleanup. therefore the 3 main producers of this chemical have had to redistribute it to aid in the guld cleanup. in turn paint manufacturers aren't the first ones to get the bonder

in regards to contractors.. we will stick with products that perform. its near impossible for a respectable contractor to stand by their finish product warrenty wise if they use a inferior product and know it
    fire up the saw and make some dust