+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default What's Up With Zinser BIN?

There is hardly a primer I have more respect for than BIN, but I just looked at the price of a gallon at Home Depot. Last week it was about $27, Now it is $39 and change!!!! Are those little oriental bugs charging more for their droppings these days?

Clear shellac took a dramatic price rise too!

Default Re: What's Up With Zinser BIN?

I'm amazed at the price of materials every time I go to the store. At some point they've got to start dropping - I hope!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

A little insider info. here...

Shellac resin harvests have been moderately off for a couple years. Zinsser/Rust-oleum was finally forced to implement a BIG price hike this winter, and it doesn't sound temporary!

Dealers got a letter earlier this winter. Just an ugly fact of supply & demand! Sooooo...on Jan. 1, we had to change prices...Uffda.

It's still the primer of choice for many projects though.

Faron

Faron,

I have to agree that BIN is a really fine product, but I wonder at what point tradesmen begin to look for alternatives.

I certainly have to do a sales job to get a civilian homeowner to buy BIN over the original Kilz or similar product. Granted,
    BIN is superior, in my opinion, at least for odor control, but the cost conscious homeowner is probably going to take Kilz at 1/3rd the price!

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    I certainly have to do a sales job to get a civilian homeowner to buy BIN over the original Kilz or similar product. Granted,
    BIN is superior, in my opinion, at least for odor control, but the cost conscious homeowner is probably going to take Kilz at 1/3rd the price!
    I agree, but at least they're still getting a decent product with the original Kilz, unlike Kilz2 which isn't worth the can it's sold in.

As far as tradesmen changing products, I'm sure that some will, but those that value a job well done and done right the first time. will still spend for the good stuff. Is it more expensive? Absolutely, but there isn't anything else that performs nearly as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Re: What's Up With Zinser BIN?

Spruce,

You are right, most tradesmen won't change. In the total cost of a bid, materials usually are only a few percentage points of the total contract. Contractors who have a loyal clientel will only use the best quality paint and supplies.

It might make some difference to those who do more commercial work, such as fire jobs. If I am holding the trigger open on an airless for several hours a day, price starts to be of some concern. Also, a contractor bidding on new work has to keep his bid more competitive than the contractor who works for existing customers who know and appreciate his work and are willing to pay of premium for it.

In general, paint prices have seemed to be holding somewhat level. Some of the national brands have a way to go to justify prices approaching $60 per gallon retail, especially when they rate down the list when tested by independant rating companies.
    After you have used premium acrylic resins and loaded it down with plenty of premium titanium dioxide, how do you justify doubling the price? Granted, there are many innovations such as ceramic and nano particles, but come on! Double the price?

Those little lac bugs must have gone on strike!