+ Reply to Thread

Default Paint Chip Not Peeling on Basement Stairs

I have four wood steps that transition into concrete steps to my basement. I have owned the house for a year and a half and the paint on the steps is now chipping on the wood steps and flaking on the concrete steps.

What do I do to prevent this from happening?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8237.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	3878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8236.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	3879  

Smile Re: Paint Chip Not Peeling on Basement Stairs

I am not an expert and not a painter but we had a similar problem on the outside wall of our rental home we rent. At our rental house instead of using a flat paint the previous owners had used a semi-gloss paint. I would suggest you use a sc****r on the steps and get rid of as much of the peeling paint as possible and then wash and dry the steps. Since these are basement steps they are probably susceptible to cold air so I suggest you wait until spring and then use a flat paint designed for concrete on all of your stairs as it should do fine for wood too. You might still have some paint coming off but according to what our contractor told us it would be more like powder instead of flaking. On our walls I can tell you from personal experience from seeing our rental house every day that the walls still look great after maybe ten years after having been painted. I also suggest very strongly that you use the highest quality brand of paint available wherever you go to buy your paint and it should hopefully last for a very long time. Good luck to you!
    Last edited by hedgeclippers; 01-19-2011 at 01:38 AM.

Default Re: Paint Chip Not Peeling on Basement Stairs

DO NOT use a flat paint on steps!!!!

From a "technical only" standpoint, the shinier the better. Most Porch & Floor paints start at a Satin sheen...for a reason. Shinier paints have a smoother/tighter/harder surface that's especially important for floor durability.

For the wood steps:
    * Get out your favorite palm/mouse-sander and use 80-grit.
    * Make sure any flaking paint comes off, and gets feather-sanded to your satisfaction.
    * Make sure surface is thoroughly dulled.
    * Remove all sanding dust.
    * DO NOT PRIME!!! Most good P&F paints are self-priming. There aren't really any floor primers anyway!
    * Use at least a Satin sheen. Add some pumice-grit from your Hdwr. store for traction. Or, use tread-tapes.

For the concrete:
    * Get out a wire brush and scratch-up the surface well.
    * Use an epoxy resin-fill for any objectionable pits in the surface. Rust-oleum has a good one.
    * When repairs are hardened-off, apply paint.
    * You may need to run a de-humidifier for a while to help the paint cure. I'm implying WEEKS here potentially!

Faron