+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default garage door stuck at open position

Yesterday, I opened the garage door with my remote and the door went up fine. However, when I tried the remote again, the door wouldn't come down. remote, wall switch nothing worked. So I disengaged the arm that connects the door to the carriage and manually pulled the door down.

The door comes and goes up easily with little force. So I am guessing that the springs are fine. (Uses torsion springs).

Today I took a closer look at the overhead opener unit. When I pressed the remote the carriage was further pulled back (looks like the motor keeps opening the door) and stopped when it was being pushed into the opener unit. (without the door connected to it, it pulled back all the way it can). It seems that the motor only tries to pull up the door and does not move in the other direction. I tried to move the limit switch with the screw-driver, and start the motor with remote, and still the motor tries to move the chains in the direction of pulling up the door. So how do I make the motor reverse directions?

The model I have is Allister All-O-Matic model AR-7D. (very old, I am not sure how old) I have the manual.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: garage door stuck at open position

Could be the reverse limit switch or the safety LED sensors by the door. Just a guess.

I cannot offer specific advice on that opener. Have you tried to contact the manufacturer or the subsidiary that now owns that name/brand?

If the brand is too old to Google, then it's probably at the end of it's useful lifespan and needs replacement. I'm not a big fan of Chamberlain, but they are a big name and a decent brand, Genie is another. Contact a few garage door dealers in your area and see what they recommend. Do a little ****** research of those names and choose from there.

Hope that helps.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Update

Thanks for suggestions and help

Last weekend spent 10 hours installing the new garage door opener. (5 hours in buying extra hardware and preparing the wall/ceiling for holding the opener securely). Works great and Now I know anything that may go wrong with it!

(The problem with the old one was, one of the limit cams that is fixed to chain was broken. I could have fixed that, but had already bought the new one and felt like replacing the really really old opener anyway)

Glad you were able to solve the problem. Thanks for the update.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!