Question raised ranch ground level multi-purpose room flooring

We live in a 1961 raised ranch where we have a large multipurpose room at ground level with decent light, no water issues, good insullation, and a red brick fireplace. It'll be a sitting/tv, playroom, arts and crafts, computer and music room. My husband and uncle will be installing flooring and we're debating between carpet, vinyl flooring or an area of laminate around the fireplace and the rest carpet (we have left over Pergo laminate that's been discontinued) or also adding some tile in front of the fireplace for any of those options. We're considering cost, function, difficulty in installing and style. Does anyone have some advice considering those things? Thanks so much!

Default Re: raised ranch ground level multi-purpose room flooring

I'm a fan of hardwood in most living areas with area rugs for accents, warmth and sound absorption. You didn't have hardwood as an option, but you do have vinyl How about LVT - Luxury Vinyl Tile - which comes in many styles and patterns, including wood-look planks.

My handicap prevents me from using my first choice, but I remodeled my living area last year and installed Konecto flooring (it's an LVT):

Click for larger view.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor-main-room25.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	3907 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor-main-room24.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	3906

I am doing my bedroom over this year and will be installing Karndean flooring.

If these products are not in your budget, my next choice would be the carpet. But I want to caution you from using the laminate around your hearth for what I think you are using it for: to protect your carpet from damage. Yes, it can protect the carpet, but the laminate will sustain just as much damage and look just as ugly.

Do just the carpet, if that's what you want, and be sure to get enough extra to do the occasional repairs for a few years (after that, the patches will not look very good).

Just my opinions, of course.

Jim
    aFloorPro.com

Default Re: raised ranch ground level multi-purpose room flooring

Thanks so much Jim. Your floors look awesome and the room with the furniture and decor looks fantastic. The reason we consider the laminate and flooring is b/c we have about 200 sq ft of the laminate already. The whole room is 18x 22 so about 400 sq ft. We'd use the laminate around the fireplace where we'd put the couch and loveseat, then carpet in like an L shape around it. I have a rag rug to put in front of the fireplace to protect the floor. Mostly to save money, but I'm not sure how it'll look. I don't want it to look like we just ran out of materials. Carpet would be warm and used throughout wouldn't break up the room, but it's going to be a lot more costly. We've decided against the vinyl depending on the type, cost and installation are a little too much.