+ Reply to Thread

Default Help - making a return

In the video (link below), Tom shows how to trim out a window using a stool. I'm all done except for the return on the apron. I cut the apron with an 11 degree angle(to match the anlge on the stool) and 45 mitre to the wall. I'm really struggling to make a return using one cut. I tried all kinds of mitre/bevel compbinations of 45/11 and 11/45 but can't seem to make the right return. I'm now thinking it might require 2 separate cuts. But the problem with this is that after the first cut, the piece will be too small to hold against the fence of my compound mitre saw. The return is the one aspect of the video that Tom did not explain how he did it. Any explanations will be most appreciated. [URL="http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20046338,00.html#comments"]http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20046338,00.html#comments

Default Re: Help - making a return

Quote Originally Posted by tandmj View Post
    In the video (link below), Tom shows how to trim out a window using a stool. I'm all done except for the return on the apron. I cut the apron with an 11 degree angle(to match the anlge on the stool) and 45 mitre to the wall. I'm really struggling to make a return using one cut. I tried all kinds of mitre/bevel compbinations of 45/11 and 11/45 but can't seem to make the right return. I'm now thinking it might require 2 separate cuts. But the problem with this is that after the first cut, the piece will be too small to hold against the fence of my compound mitre saw. The return is the one aspect of the video that Tom did not explain how he did it. Any explanations will be most appreciated. [URL="http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20046338,00.html#comments"]http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20046338,00.html#comments
    The aprons cut at 45 degs not 45/11 or 11/45. Imagine the apron being baseboard that need to go around a 90 corner. The only difference it the return pcs is only as deep/thick as the apron material.
    Take a short pcs 12" or so of the apron material,make a 45 deg cut on the left and right side. After the cuts are made look at the back of the apron you will see where to cut it off for length. You can cut the length upside down if you want or transfer the length to the front.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Gizmo

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

The apron does not receive the same bevel cut as the stool.

Stand the apron up in your saw so that it's flat against the back fence. Keep the saw in a vertical position and just angle it to 45* to make the back bevel cut on each end. Now, cut the companion 45* angle on each end of a scrap. Reset the saw for a straight cut and trim off the companion pieces. Use care that you don't shoot the small pieces across the room when you cut through.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

[QUOTE=A. Spruce;.
    . Use care that you don't shoot the small pieces across the room when you cut through.[/QUOTE]

Yeah those small pcs shoot out and go "Zing', and someone says ouch if they hit someone.............lol
    Gizmo

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

precisely, if i use a molding i return it to the wall, if using flat stock with a routered edge i cut it on 30"
    fire up the saw and make some dust

dear A Spruce:
    worked like a charm - how simple - I really overthought this one. Maybe that's why Tommy didn;t really spend any time on it in the video. thanks again

You're welcome. Glad to have helped and that your project is complete.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!