+ Reply to Thread

Default Concrete Removal for Fence Post

I have to install a new fence post to replace the rotted old one,
    and am looking for advice on how to remove or break up the concrete holding the existing post.

My hope that that it can be dug out, or broken up so I can just re-fill the empty hole and set a new
    PT 4x4 to support the gate.

Additionally,
    I was told that the new post should be at least 4' down, and surrounded by 1' of concrete.

All advice is appreciated.

thanks,

FCD

Default Re: Concrete Removal for Fence Post

removing concrete from a fence post hole is actually easier than you think. all i do is use a 6' pry bar. one end looks like a chisel and the other end is pointy or tapered and narrow. ass you have to do is slam the pointy end into the ground along the fence post until you hit the concrete. then just pull up and keep slamming it in there. you'll have to probaby do it on all 4 sides. the concrete usually breaks off the fence post rather easily. then just wiggle the post back and forth a few times and pull it out. then you have to dig down to remove the broken pieves of concrete.

Thanks so much for the helpful advice.

THe project seems to have gotten a tad bit easier,
    and I get to buy a new tool, too !

FCD

Sometimes you can wiggle the post loose, and pull the post and concrete out all in one piece.

P.S. -- my alias on here doesn't mean I'm an expert on fenceposts!
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thanks, Fencepost,
    your tip is appreciated.

FCD

Go to Grave-concerns.com, the tool is used in cemeteries but it is useful for pulling out old cement from post holes.