+ Reply to Thread

Question glass backsplash

I have a kitchen with "cabinets" that are just framing against the walls,then enclosed. Grimy. So this whole 100 year old room is going to be gutted wall by wall. Slow but I have to live with process. I would like to put up a glass backsplash. How is glass attached to wall under upper cabinets? Are there several ways?

Default Re: glass backsplash

are you talking about glass tiles? or actual sheets of glass? I imagine you are talking glass tiles. If this is the case you put them up pretty much the same way you install regular tile with one slight exception. Normally with tile you use a notched trowel when applying the mastic or thinset which makes groves that you press the tiles into and helps adhere them. With glass tiles you want to make the mastic or thinset smooth since the glass tiles are somewhat see through. If you use a notched trowel with glass tile it is likely the groves will show through and not look very good. Check the TOH website for info as a segment was done on Ask TOH by Joe Ferrante before he passed away.

If however you are planning to use sheets of glass you can use the mastic that is used to hold mirrors to the walls. You just put a few dabs of the mastic on the glass and stick it to the wall and support it until the mastic cures. Hope this helps you out.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I would like to put up sheets of glass. Easy to clean. I saw a treatment in Nov issue, pg 69 I think. Won't the mastic show? The mag didn't show or mention how this was done or the thickness of the glass. I'd like to put it over wallpaper or just over painted wall (can change color when I feel like it).

If you are going to use clear glass you will need to put it in some sort of channel to hold it in place since you are right the mastic would show through. You can buy channel that a mirror would go in or if you wanted you could make it a little nicer by using wood and rabbeting it or dadoing it to hold the glass in place. attach the channel or wood to the wall and slide in the glass to hold it in place.

Mike

I think I would be inclined to rest it fully on the existing counter backsplash - no channel, then either use mirror clips along the top edge or have the glass drilled and run attachment screws through and into framing members. Once the glass is installed run a small bead of caulk along where it sits on the counter to seal it tightly so that no dirt or debris can get under or behind the glass. The other thing is I'd recommend that safety glass be used. Safety glass will pebblize if broken, it won't shard as normal glass will, and if you go the route of through fasteners, then the holes need to be drilled before the glass is tempered and treated.

The reason I wouldn't suggest using J-channel as previously mentioned is that you'll see it through the glass and it won't be very attractive. Using a wood frame isn't a bad idea, however I think you'd still have problems with grime build-up if it's not sealed with caulk. Also, wood in and around a sink isn't the best idea as it will be prone to water stain and damage for constant moisture.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you A.Spruce. I will go with the safety glass with through holes for fasteners, resting on counter with a bead of caulk. Excellent.