+ Reply to Thread

Default Tile over laminate backsplash?

I have read everywhere that tiling over a laminate backsplash is a pretty bad idea. BUT, my laminate backsplash from lovely 1975 runs under the top cabinets by at least an inch. I do not see a way to remove it without removing the cabinets. I would like to update the backsplash with either tile or beadboard. Can this be done without removing the cabinets and backsplash? Thanks!

Default Re: Tile over laminate backsplash?

The laminate can come out fairly easily. Score it with a knife, or cut slits in it with a small rotary tool. Score ti just under the cabinets, where you can snap off the laminate along that line.

Quote Originally Posted by starcitylady View Post
    I have read everywhere that tiling over a laminate backsplash is a pretty bad idea. BUT, my laminate backsplash from lovely 1975 runs under the top cabinets by at least an inch. I do not see a way to remove it without removing the cabinets. I would like to update the backsplash with either tile or beadboard. Can this be done without removing the cabinets and backsplash? Thanks!
    Don't tile over the laminate , it's a waste of time and money for something that will fall apart ,guaranteed.

You maybe surprised how easily that laminate backsplash will pull out from behind the cabinets. If buy chance the laminate is well adheared to the wall you can get yourself a laminate scoring tool. Score the laminate along the bottonm of the cabinets ,once you remove the lower section ( working up ) lift up the laminate and it will snap right along the score line.
    Using a utility knife is a waste of time I always have and use the scoring tool working with laminates.

Thanks! It's reassuring to know that the cabinets do not have to come down to remove the backsplash...but now I think I'll just hire someone to do it for me and do beadboard instead of tile (which I wanted anyway but knew I couldn't put that over the laminate).