+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wiring Issue

Question Wiring Issue

I have 2 4-wire romexes (white, black, red and copper).

And I have 2 wireless ceiling fan switches that are *****ed by house electricity that are supposed to install as a wall switch (2 black and 1 green).

How do I wire the remotes so they have *****?

What I thought was obvious, is not.

Thank you,

Chris

Default Re: Wiring Issue

Your 4 wire romex should be as follows:
    - White = Neutral
    - Black = Hot
    - Red = Hot
    - Copper (aka bare wire ) = Ground

What are the functions on the remote switches? Do they only operate one function, say fan speed, or are they multi function, as in one switch will operate BOTH fan speed and light?

Where the fan location and the switch location get their ***** will determine how the switches get wired into the system.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

(The "4-wire Romex" you refer to is really a 3-wire with ground. The bare copper is the ground.)

More information needed:

- Do your fans also have lights? It appears that the wireless switches you got do not support controlling lights.

- Is there only the 3-wire+ground Romex coming into the switchbox, or is there also a 2-wire+ground coming in, too?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Actually, in rereading the question, "remote switch" infers that the switches are in fact not connected to the fan at all, but work like a TV remote, in which case, the number and color of wires at either the switch or the fan doesn't matter. What does matter is that the fan is connected to a hot, neutral, and ground. What matters is that the switch is connected to a hot and ground.

Now, if you're working with an existing lighting circuit, you need to determine if the switch location is connected to the fan location already, then wire it so that both locations are hot all the time. That should allow the remote switch to operate the fan.

Just curious, what do the instructions for the switches/fan say?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by christophercole77 View Post
    I have 2 4-wire romexes (white, black, red and copper).

And I have 2 wireless ceiling fan switches that are *****ed by house electricity that are supposed to install as a wall switch (2 black and 1 green).

How do I wire the remotes so they have *****?

What I thought was obvious, is not.

Thank you,

Chris
    No offense intended but, you don't seem to have the basic skills working with electrical . It would be best for you and your home to have someone more knowledgeable or hire an electrician to do the hook ups.

A. Spruce,

Thank you for your reply your assumptions are totally correct.

Today, the fans do work. They are controlled by a wireless remote. In fact, I have to fans and they both work on wireless remotes.

These fans are in my master bedroom and it wasn't long before I got tired of trying to find remotes to turn on lights. So as a convenience, I thought, Harbor Breeze makes wall remotes for the fans I have. Therefore, not having to search for remotes anymore although still used would be great.

So..back to your statement. The fans have ***** all the time although control by remote.

I have these same wall remote in my other bedrooms. However, the existing wiring was the standard 3-wire, black, white, copper. Wired up easy and worked without a problem.

The instructions didn't give suggestions for a 4-wire installation.

As stated before no matter how are infer for the wall switch connection not getting ***** to the remote.

-Chris