+ Reply to Thread

Default Is my 130 year old row home still "stable"?

I'm wondering about the structural integrity of my 130 year old row home. Do foundations weaken with a century of renovations, weight (furniture, people), weather fluctuations, and whatever else might have an impact?
    My old home was built on a stone slab, supported on four sides by brick covered with concrete, and there are no interior load-bearing walls. The concrete on the basement walls looks like it needs some work, which got me to thinking about whether the whole house is getting too "heavy" for it's skeleton?

Default Re: Is my 130 year old row home still "stable"?

Houses built in these eras were built like old ships. Barns were built in the same fashion. They like to be used and lived in. The old hay barns which are probably built much like your house were filled from front to back top to bottom with hay. This is a tremendious amount of weight. If you keep up on all of the little up keep you house will be happy.

exactly as mentioned above, if you have any major concerns about structure though your best to consult a engineer
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I'm wondering about the structural integrity of my 130 year old row home. Do foundations weaken with a century of renovations, weight (furniture, people), weather fluctuations, and whatever else might have an impact?
    My old home was built on a stone slab, supported on four sides by brick covered with concrete, and there are no interior load-bearing walls. The concrete on the basement walls looks like it needs some work, which got me to thinking about whether the whole house is getting too "heavy" for it's skeleton?
    Yes they will change due to all sorts of factors including age deterioration.
    Sometimes it's a good thing * they don't build them like they used to*.
    If in doubt have an engineer evaluate the structure.