+ Reply to Thread

Thread: door wont close

Default door wont close

i recently installed a pre hung exterior steel door for a friend of mine. it seemed simple enough i have installed an exterior door before. first issue i encounterd was there was no sill plate when i removed that old door. well a trip to home depot fixed that. after making sure my rough opening was plumb ia installed the door. a few minor adjustment to the door it was perfect. it opened and closed with no problem.\ i installed the knob and strikerplate worked like a charm. to insulate i used that spray expanding foam. now fast foward a week i get a phone call door wont close. i go over to check it out and the door shited a good 3/8 of an inch in the cold. in my mind door cotrast in the winter its been below 40 since december. i am at a loss any ideas was able to fix it but now there is a good 1/2 inch gap at the top and bottom of the door. i have never had this problem.

Default Re: door wont close

I had this problem once too. It could be that the expanding foam you used actually pushed the frame of the door when it expanded. It could also be that moisture made its way into the wood surrounding the new frame and, if the temps got low enough, shifted the frame. If you can, wait until the temps are consistently above freezing and check it again. If its fixed, then you just need to figure out where the moisture is coming from and seal it off. If its not, you may need to use a recip saw to remove the door, remove the insulation, and reinstall it using minimum expanding foam, which is mean for these applications. Good luck.