+ Reply to Thread

Default Adding a doorway on a load bearing wall

Adding doorway to interior wall of 100 year old house. Wall is 90 degrees to exterior wall. Opening will be within 12" of outside wall. When I cut into the wallboard the interior wall is braced with a cross brace running 45 degrees from the outside wall to the floor. The studs are notched to allow the brace to pass through them. Is it safe to cut through the cross member to open for the door?

Thanks,

Molly

Default Re: Adding a doorway on a load bearing wall

cutting out the brace should be fine. its a older method of providing lateral strength to walls. just be sure to install a header if in fact this wall is a bearing wall so to carry the load of the floor above
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I'm wondering if this would also apply to the 2nd story of a balloon framed house. It has a diagonal cross member set into the 2x4 framing and I want to put a doorway through this wall into a bedroom that was part of an addition. The wall I want to use used to be the exterior wall, but a two story addition was added later and now it's an interior wall. I only need to remove one 2x4 and the bracing to put in the doorway but I'm not sure if this will work.

removing the brace should be fine, just be sure to install a proper header in the opening and install squash blocks in the floor system if the jack studs dont land on a joist

Thanks for the quick reply. Could you explain what "squash blocks" are?
    Thanks

short studs that are installed between the top plate of the lower floor wall up to the underside of the floor boards directly beneath the jack and king studs of door opening, their for pointloads to transfer weight from above down to beams and studs below so that posts wont shear through the floor