+ Reply to Thread

Default rusty dishwasher rack

A knick (from an errant knife probably) in the rubbery plastic coating that covers the wire of the lower rack of the dishwasher has gradually bloomed into a rusty situation. Anyone have an idea (short of replacing the rack itself) of how to perfect a repair?

Default Re: rusty dishwasher rack

As I'm sure you know now, knicks like this should be coated with a rubberized coating which you can buy little jars of at some appliance stores. If I'm guessing right, the rust has expanded out the wire and it's coating to form a cancerous bulge. Eventually it will break through and you'll have a missing piece of rack and I'm not sure what you could do to repair that.

You might need to cut out the rusted section and then coat the ends of the part you cut with the rubberized stuff previously mentioned.

I looked up the cost of a rack on partselect.com and was surprised at the $125 price tag for a rack. I had ordered a replacement water tube for the top rack from there and got off easy at $10.

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought I would ask for advice before I tried the appliance store - big box retailers just say "I dunno". It's not so bad yet that I can't cut grind away the "bloom", but once I did that I wanted to use a repair that worked.

There are coatings for the racks available through your local appliance parts store. There is one in your color. Take the make and model number to the appliance parts store and they can get you the one that you need.

Thumbs up Re: rusty dishwasher rack

Thanks for the responses. A couple of weeks back I stopped by an appliance parts distributor and picked up the coating - $8.95 for a small bottle containing a couple of ounces. The dishwasher was in the house when I purchased it and upon removal from the dishwasher I was surprised to see that there were numerous places where the coating was damaged or simply worn off as a result the repetitive action of loading and unloading dishes, flatware, etc.

The coating material is not viscous so after a bit of sanding and undercoating several coats were required to build up the coating. If it lasts it was a cheap repair.