+ Reply to Thread

Default unconventional chimney

I've just bought a house/cabin, but have not moved in yet. The chimney is entirely outdoors and seems tall enough. It also has a chimney cap, et al. But to me it looks like a big culvert pipe, something like what you would see under a driveway. It has been anchored into cement at the bottom and tied to the house with metal strapping leaving a roughly 12" gap between the house and pipe. My realtor says the insurance companies like this type of chimney... I'm just wondering if anyone has seen a chimney like this before?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24043-57530-2071949 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	3861  

Default Re: unconventional chimney

Is it really a corrugated steel culvert pipe?! I couldn't get the pic big enough to really see it.

What is using this "chimney", furnace, woodstove, hot water heater?

Just call you insurance person and ask them to take a look at it. Better yet, call them and ask a hypothetical question, like that you are looking at a house that has a corrugated steel culvert pipe as a chimney and see what their response is!

I suspect they like it because if there is a flue fire from a wood stove, it would be unlikely to catch the house on fire. I would think it wouldn't draw very well being uninsulated. In cold weather it would cool off quickly and lose it's draft if you had a low fire. Having too large a diameter will have adverse effects on draft, also. I am just guessing, there are some wood aficionados here that can give you better advice.
    "Lead by Example"

Thanks for the input.

The chimney is for a wood stove. I believe, but am not 100% positive, that the triple wall stove pipe runs from the stove, through the wall and into the "chimney". And I think, but am not sure, that the triple wall pipe goes all the way to the top of the chimney where it has a chimney cap.

I don't know if it really truly is a steele culvert pipe, but it sure looks like one to me. I don't officially own the house yet (closing soon) and have not had an inspection of the chimney (I'm buying it no matter what). I'm just interested in thoughts about this style and to see if anyone has seen this kind of chimney before

If the triple wall goes to the top, you could be in great shape.

Since it is a woodburner, get it cleaned out & inspected to begin with so that creosote build up from previous use will not be a concern. You never know what they were burning in the stove.

Get a CO detector (numeric display) or two to place around the house. Make sure the smoke detectors you have can also alarm on CO detection.

What part of the country are you located in?

Thanks bp21. We're in Missouri.

That's good advice about the CO/smoke detectors and inspections. I'll have the fire dept out to have a look.

I have looked all over the internet for a chimney like this and found only one mention on a 6 year old forum...

And I think you're right about the pipe - it must be walled pipe run through all the way to the top because there's a pretty ordinary-looking chimney cap up there and I'm thinking a standard chimney cap wouldn't be big enough to cover the opening of that "culvert".

So, the culvert pipe chimney is basically a shell around the stove pipe and acts to protect the stove pipe and the house? That sounds pretty good to me... I'll let you know how it turns out!