Default Incorrect routing technique by tommy

While watching the show on how to repair stair treads at this current “this old house project” , i watched tommy use a router incorrectly while adding a cove detail to the treads - he was “climb” cuttting (which is routing in the wrong direction) – he should have been routing “counter-clockwise” around the outside of the tread, but he was routing “clockwise” – this is a mistake usually made by amatuer woodworkers with little knowledge of proper techniques in routing – this practice should never have been demonstrated on “this old house” by a professional woodworker like tommy – shame on you tommy!! Maybe a retraction or ammendment is in order!

Default Re: Incorrect routing technique by tommy

how much stock was he removing. depending on the profile and situation i know some carpenters who do this purposely when nearing finishing putting the profile on the peice of stock so to smooth out any "hiccups"
    fire up the saw and make some dust

While going "counterclockwise" (left to right when the router is between you and the working edge) is definitely safer, going "clockwise" can result in less tearout and a smoother cut. You can make it safer by making your initial cut a bit shallow going counterclockwise, then readjust the bit to the final depth going clockwise. Of course, you must hold the router very tightly, and position it and yourself so you can apply maximum control to prevent kickback.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Man, if you ever get to a job site you'll see things done with tools that goes against *proper* use without any issues and getting the job done.