+ Reply to Thread

Angry How to clean holes under rim

Our toilet doesnt flush right because to holes under the rim are blocked by deposits. How can we clean them out? I tried to use an awl and a mirror and cant even get it in the hole it is that blocked. Only 1/2 of the holes are not totally blocked. I turned off the water, drained the tank, wiped under the rim, covered all the holes with duct tape, put CLR in from the tank and let it sit for 10 minutes. That didn't even make a difference!

Any thoughts????

Thanks,
    Cheryl

Default Re: How to clean holes under rim

Replace the toilet!

If the holes are so blocked that you can't poke them clear with an awl, then you'll have to replace it. Not an overly difficult task, just be sure to purchase a new wax ring (I prefer the style with the plastic neck ), and new hold down bolts to go along with the new toilet.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

h67mack,

I have cleared a couple dozen toilets using the same basic procedure you did except.....I use aluminum foil tape to close off the holes (dry under there with a paper towel first) and then I use muriatic acid rather than CLR.

Needless to say, but....this requires much more caution than using CLR. MA is not to be taken lightly even though you can buy it down at the hardware store or big-box. You do not want to breathe the vapors as they will burn the lungs. Open a window in the room, use a fan and hold your breath for good measure. Goggles are best and if you get any on your skin or clothes....get it flushed off with water ASAP.

Close valve to toilet tank, flush and hold so all water leaves the tank. Lift the flapper, set a long-necked funnel down in and then pour maybe six ounces or so into that. Leave it set for 2 minutes or so, pull the tape off and flush. (Open the shut-off valve & let tank refill right after you pour the MA in and remove the funnel. Mind the drippings from your funnel when you remove it as MA can/will eat into many different materials.)

If this procedure doesn't clear the holes.....I think it's time to replace the toilet.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 02-19-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post

...You do not want to breathe the vapors as they will burn the lungs. Open a window in the room, use a fan and hold your breath for good measure. Goggles are best and if you get any on your skin or clothes....get it flushed off with water ASAP.
    If it is that bad to breathe in the fumes, a Respirator would be in order, no?
    Installing a Residential Elevator or Hidden Content does not have to be complicated.

As if ****hillers exaggerated directions weren't enough, you might want to call your local OSHA rep to observe the cleaning of the toilet rim flush holes. Just joshin'.

One common spot that most people forget is the hole at the bottom of the toilet. At the very bottom of your toilet there are usually 2 holes. The one hole is the drain that water flows down to get out of the toilet. The second hole is in front of the drain. Water from the tank flows through this hole as well as under the rim. This hole actually provides most of the flushing power and usually builds up calcium easily. If you see this white or yellowish build up, try to gently sc**** it away.

First I tried draining the toilet and letting CLR sit for a few hours. Then I tried white vinegar as suggested by someone else. Neither of these softened it up enough. I wound up getting a screwdriver and GENTLY chipping away at the built up calcium around and inside this hole. If you do this, be VERY careful not to scratch or even worse, crack your toilet. Be VERY gentle.

Agree with earlier responder... get a new toilet. The new ones are low-volume gravity flushes that can save LOTS of water each year, and can be installed by a plumber in about an hour. We had 2 new ones installed recently and we couldn't be more pleased.