+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using a 'twist' doorbell in a modern hollow core door?

Hello, I am thinking about buying a reproduction twist mechanical doorbell. I'll try to post a picture below. Is there any reason why I could not install one of these in a modern, metal clad, hollow core entry door? I'm talking like a $250 jobber from Lowes. I don't see why I couldn't, but most of the descriptions mention solid doors.
    Thanks

Default Re: Using a 'twist' doorbell in a modern hollow core door?

The problem is that the metal skin is not of sufficient enough weight to be able to hold the mounting screws. Unless you have to make a large enough hole for the installation that you can glue some wood blocking where the screw go, the screws will most likely fall out after it is used a few times.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Is there any kind of insert I can put in, like a wall anchor or something similar, that would make it more stable?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrantonluna View Post
    Is there any kind of insert I can put in, like a wall anchor or something similar, that would make it more stable?
    Most of the plastic wall anchors have shoulders much to wide to work with such thin stock. From the picture you posted it doesn't look like the holes of the two plates align so you can't run bolts trough the door and both plates. You will have to drill a center hole for the bell mechanism to go through. You might be able to use that hole to slid some wood blocking in even with the screw holes.

I doubt it, the shaft itself is pretty thin, and the front plate is as well. Not much to cover with. Is there any cross bracing inside a modern door? How about a fiberglass version?

I would probably mount the bell in the center of the door, in the cross section, so the paneled sections aren't in the way. I don't know if there's any kind of support there. I suppose I could go up to Lowes with a stud finder..
    Last edited by Scrantonluna; 02-19-2009 at 03:16 PM.

I though most of the steel entry doors had a foam core. If it's indeed hollow, then it probably has a heavy gauge skin. If the mounting is with machine screws that go all the way through the door, you could drill the holes larger and use a bushing of a length equal to the thickness of the door to provide proper support.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

You think they'd have some sort of mounting kit for a case like this...

One thing that might work but is still a little iffy would be pop rivets.
    Jack

I have a door knocker on a steel door and it is through bolted from the inside with no outside hardware. The knocker would take a lot less twisting than the bell. If you could figure out a way to do it that would look good, fencepost's suggestion would hold up I think. The look good part may be hard to accomplish.

I thought about pop rivets, but I don't think there's a way to make it look right.

We're replacing the door in a month or so, which may help the situation. The door my wife has her eye on is a Reliabilt steel door from Lowes, I might try to contact them to see if there is any bracing. I'm hoping there might be something there to catch. I can't afford a solid wood door. If another brand has integral bracing, I might be able to talk her into that one instead.

I'm also thinking of trying the bell out on the OLD door before it gets replaced, to see if it will work or not.

{EDIT**
    I just found these things, they're called pop nuts. I think it might be the answer...