+ Reply to Thread

Question recessed can lighting and attic insulation

We had our kitchen redone a year ago (it's not completed yet, my work left). The electrician talked my husband into installing recessed lighting. Well, first I'm a green person and I wanted something energy efficient not something that would heat up the house. They appeased me with dimmer switches.
    Now I am concerned with the attic. I'm not even sure he used the right cans. We had to have the front half of the roof completely replaced in the fall because of mold. I checked the home inspectors report from 13 years ago and he did note some mildew on the front roof so it had been there; however there is a reason it was there. The insulation was installed backwards, vapor side up, that he didn't note. The paper is mostly deteriorated now so I think that I can take it up and insulate it properly. Might even be able to use some of the old stuff on top without the paper.

My question is, how to insulate around these damn lights and how to keep their heat out of the attic? :mad:
    Wildflower

Rather than sit out the storm, learn to dance in the rain!
    Hidden Content

Default Re: recessed can lighting and attic insulation

a relatively simple way to do it, if the electrician didn't use insulated cans or even if he did, is to purchase rigid foam insulation and make a box that fits over the cans in the attic and rests on the drywall ceiling below. then you can use your regualr insulation up to and around the boxes you made. make sure to use real aluminum duct tape to make the boxes not the regular duct tape that erodes over time.

You will need to find out if the recessed lights he used are IC rate (insulation contact) or not. If they are you can insulate right over them if they are not they depend on air circulation to keep them cool and if you insulate over them they will over heat and the thermal switches in side will turn the lights off until they cool back down.

You say you had to replace the front half of the roof because of mold. If you are talking about its growth outside on the roof My guess would be it was the north side of the house where it receives little or no direct sunlight. Installing zinc strips near the peak of the roof will prevent recurrence.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

2008 NEC.
    Read this and (B) carefully.

410.116 Clearance and Installation.
    (A) Clearance.
    (1) Non-Type IC. A recessed luminaire that is not identified
    for contact with insulation shall have all recessed parts
    spaced not less than 13 mm (1⁄2 in.) from combustible
    materials. The points of support and the trim finishing off
    the opening in the ceiling or wall surface shall be permitted
    to be in contact with combustible materials.
    (2) Type IC. A recessed luminaire that is identified for
    contact with insulation, Type IC, shall be permitted to be in
    contact with combustible materials at recessed parts, points
    of support, and portions passing through or finishing off the
    opening in the building structure.
    (B) Installation. Thermal insulation shall not be installed
    above a recessed luminaire or within 75 mm (3 in.) of the
    recessed luminaire’s enclosure, wiring compartment, or
    ballast unless it is identified for contact with insulation,
    Type IC.

I agree with the other posters in regards to making sure your cans are IC approved. You would see the letters IC inside the can itself. Just cleaning things up a bit...

Thanks everyone. I guess I have my work cut out for me climbing around the attic:but, if I am lucky, they are IC rated and I can just continue my insulating.

Thanks again
    Wildflower

Rather than sit out the storm, learn to dance in the rain!
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    Thanks everyone. I guess I have my work cut out for me climbing around the attic:but, if I am lucky, they are IC rated and I can just continue my insulating.

Thanks again
    It would be stamped on the inside of the can. Basically where it states what type of lamps to buy.